Bedding - straw is too labour intensive, shavings are too expensive - what to do ?.

(39 Posts)
mycupoffucksrunnethempty Mon 13-Jan-14 22:08:14

Bringing my mare back to live in. Have used straw for last couple of years but health problems mean i need to make mucking out as physically easy as possible.

She is a very dirty mare so shavings work out very expensive, I need to put a minimum of two bales a week in and I can't afford to do that

Can any one recommend a suitable alternative ?

Been looking into wood pellets but I'm not convinced

mycupoffucksrunnethempty Mon 13-Jan-14 22:18:37

Bump

Littlebigbum Mon 13-Jan-14 22:37:18

hemp stuff, can't remember what it is called

Littlebigbum Mon 13-Jan-14 22:45:24

ok a link http://www.widmer.co.uk/horse/bedding/94/Aubiose-5+-Collected-detail
So the hemp stuff just poo pick.
some people just use rubber matting, which is cheap, horses look yuck on it. I use both. but keep mine out so I only buy I bale per stable a year.

annieapple7 Mon 13-Jan-14 22:50:28

Put rubber floor down. Then you only need to sprinkle some shavings down to absorb pee. Super quick and easy to clean out - just sweep and shovel out. It should pay for itself in the first winter. Mine have.

Christmascandles Mon 13-Jan-14 22:53:59

I used to work for someone who deep littered them (took droppings out by hand, laid banks, patted down the middle and added clean straw ontop) and then once a month or so I dug the middle out. Their stables were field shelters tho so no floor, don't know if this would make a difference...?

I did the same with my shetland mare, but obviously she a lot smaller than a team chaser smile

Could you pay bribe someone to dig it out for you..?

I've got mine on mats and straw as it looks cosier so probably make myself more work than is really necessary!!

willyoulistentome Mon 13-Jan-14 22:56:26

I hated rubber floors that had just a thin layer of shavings over. Poor horse can't be comfy to lie for long on that. Plus rugs get horrifically shitty and pee soaked. I took a while to get the hang of straw after years of shavings. Got to like it in the end though.

mycupoffucksrunnethempty Mon 13-Jan-14 23:00:29

I do have mats blush
Honestly she is so spoilt. She has always had full matting and a minimum of 12 inches deep straw with 4 foot high banks I get a bit OCD with it

The hemp stuff is quite pricey. I can get a pallet of wood clippings which work out to £2.85 a bag but they look a bit like sawdust I think and that puts me off

Gah I can see her ending up on straw and me needing all day and many painkillers to muck out

Mitchy1nge Mon 13-Jan-14 23:02:09

does she actually spend much time lying down do you think? if not don't see why rubber matting with a little straw bed in one corner wouldn't work, it's so quick and easy to just take everything out each day then, and cheap

I miss rubber mats sad

Mitchy1nge Mon 13-Jan-14 23:04:46

think I x-posted with you

sounds really cosy in there grin

mycupoffucksrunnethempty Mon 13-Jan-14 23:36:15

I think I just need to lower my standards and chill out. She has spent last 2 years living out and hasn't cared one jot so a stable with a small straw bed and rubber mats has to be warmer and more comfortable than the ground right ?

Straw is cheap which is a big plus and I can keep her nice and clean on it so I think that's gonna be best bet

Mitchy1nge Mon 13-Jan-14 23:41:38

will you worry about her getting cast though?

that is the thing that keeps me up at night if for whatever reason we don't have banks halfway up the walls, and it's only ever happened once confused

are you likely to get better from what's limiting you at the moment? just wondered if it was possible/worth getting some help for the short term if so

mycupoffucksrunnethempty Mon 13-Jan-14 23:45:13

Oooh yes indeed mitchy, ill stick with my massive banks but just have a lesser actual bed in the middle.

Because she buries all of her muck and poos and wees all over I have to fully muck out daily. At least if middle of bed is smaller that will be easier and I can leave banks intact.

Unfortunately I may not improve much so just need to get my head around managing her as best as I can.

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Jan-14 00:01:15

hope you find that a bit easier, I'm sure they don't care either way grin

my horse must spend the whole night raving it up to the music in his head when he's in (rare but just brought him in this week because he seemed to want to hmm) his stable is a giant rectangular cauldron of poo soup every morning. I miss our little dartmoor who would just carefully wee in the same place every night and then leave a few droppings nearby.

stupid question but could she just go back out again if it's too much?

Millie2013 Tue 14-Jan-14 07:52:56

Aubiose! I've found it so cost effective and easy, even with my messy mare!

roastchesnutlatte Tue 14-Jan-14 07:59:14

I use pellets, not the most attractive bed but very cheap and the quickest thing ever to muck out.
we have mats then I put down a bed on two thirds of the box (large box and ponies), about 8 bags to start off then about two a week to keep topped up.
If I had all the money in the world would have straw and a groom, until then would never swop back!
Hate mucking out even shavings now when horses staying over in competition venue stables, takes ages!

GillyMac93 Tue 14-Jan-14 08:05:39

I use eco bedding , can't think of the name right now but it's 6.50 a bale delivered ,i have a mare who pees like crazy and kicks her poo about and Nazi bed maybe ? I try leaving mine out as long as possible and kicking them out first thing but you are probably doing that already

GillyMac93 Tue 14-Jan-14 08:06:26

Where did Nazi come from ,eazi bed !

NigellasDealer Tue 14-Jan-14 08:09:25

to be honest big straw banks do not stop a horse getting cast anyway, IMO it is a bit of a myth.
what about paper bedding -? here it is available from the local re-cycling place in huge bags for a couple of quid.

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Jan-14 09:05:38

don't say that NigellasDealer, banks are a magical charm to ward off many stable ills hmm especially when they are lovely and straight

they probably keep draughts out too

NigellasDealer Tue 14-Jan-14 09:11:56

oh yes they do make the stable cosy and comfortable and are v satisfying for the groom/owner. They just won't stop a horse getting cast IME, although i suppose a really solid deep littered bank might make flipping him back a bit easier. I hate deep litter anyway, deep shitter.

My horses were out at livery last year and we used rape straw which was brilliant - all the bits drop to the bottom and soak up the wee. My horse is dirty but I found once I'd poo picked I just swiped the long straw off with the fork and swept up the residue underneath.

Littlebigbum Tue 14-Jan-14 11:21:25

That recycled paper stuff is yucky.

mycupoffucksrunnethempty Tue 14-Jan-14 12:53:42

I'm in mitchy's camp - huge straight banks with sharp edges ward off many problems (told you I had issues lol)

Roast chestnut what pellets do you use? I'm so very tempted by them

Has anyone used cushion bed ? I can get that locally for 4 quid. A bag

I've moved yards so she can't live out here so must be stabled so living out no longer an option.

roastchesnutlatte Tue 14-Jan-14 20:46:03

Have used various, Liverpool cheap but delivery can be poor, used five star but they had problems when owner of company sadly died. Currently on white horse premium as were cheapest at the time. Actually like them best, they are much lighter in colour.
They don't look great but my horses all lie down happily, they are cheap and honestly so easy to do beds, literally ten minutes a bed maximum. Compost well so muck heap smaller too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now