Hunter wellies are rubbish these days - what do you put on your feet to go in muddy fields?

(75 Posts)
Lovelybunchofcocopops Mon 13-Jan-14 19:41:47

I must admit I do love a pair of hunters, they are soooo comfy, but these days they last 6 months (if that) before they start splitting/cracking/leaking etc
Have tried Ariat mud busters, but they managed 8 months before splitting.
Knackered up my Toggi canyons by going in the field with them on - I know, I know, only myself to blame for that one!
Am thinking of Barbour, but don't know anyone who has had them.

What do you wise horse people recommend for wading thru muddy fields?

craggyhollow Mon 24-Feb-14 11:00:15

my aigles are LEAKING

shock after 10 years suppose I can't complain

came in yesterday after faddling around in the field and my socks were wet around the toes

[sob]

spritzer1 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:23:47

£15 wellies from Homebase and thermal socks. They last ages and my daughter rides in hers too! Did get one pair stuck in mud and had to dig them out with a straw fork - slightly annoying that I put a prong of the fork through the side of one of them but the mud was right up to the top of the wellies and my daughter had to walk out of them leaving them in the field as she was completely stuck! Brought the horse in wearing just her socks - good thing horse is barefoot!

Pixel Fri 07-Feb-14 21:06:49

All good with the Aigles so far - touch wood!
I'll say one thing, they are really getting a good test at the moment.

Karen1226 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:59:21

Aigle neoprene lined, they are warm and so comfy. They usually last me between 2-4 years but I do live in them.

PoshPenny Thu 23-Jan-14 22:49:32

Aigle parcours are well worth the money, Muck boots are pretty good, but I've had three pairs split on the top now. my aigles were replaced because the soles had worn a bit too smooth to do mud well, but once the weather improves, I can go back to the old pair...

Battytwollocks Thu 23-Jan-14 22:17:32

I have le chameau vierzonord and they are fab, very comfy and warm, I have problems in wellies as I have had for surgery so do need to wear good 'uns bloody expensive ones I also have dubarrys, and they are so not worth the money split as soon as you look at 'em . Unfortunately I wouldn't risk riding in my le chameau wellies as the sole is very cleated and I am paranoid about things like that so have a pair of jod boots which I keep in the car to change into, but am seriously considering the muck boot tyne riding wellies as the ariat wellies (which would be my first choice) look very slim in the leg and I have fairly big and fat muscular legs!

Landy77 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:26:45

Le chameau have 2 quality levels I understand - but the originals are the best boot ever

fourlegstwolegs Thu 23-Jan-14 14:19:51

10 year old Le Chameau's with neoprene lining. DP has the Neoprene lined Aigle ones, they are 2 yrs old now.

ClaireAnneJames Thu 23-Jan-14 13:17:55

also I wouldn't ride in muck boots or wellies, basically anything with a ridged sole rather than a smooth sole with a slight heel like a riding boot - as with wellies or chunky grip soles there is a risk of getting foot stuck in stirrup and being dragged, maybe I'm ultra cautious but it's what I was always told and it seems like not worth the risk.

ClaireAnneJames Thu 23-Jan-14 13:13:38

I have had wellies from Joules and the insole cames out almost straight away and then they cracked and split, within a few months of getting them. I know they now have a year's welly guarantee but I wouldn't get them again. Best wellies have proved to be the emergency super cheap pair I got from Brantanos, 3 years in the mud and still going strong. They look like Dunlops, green and plain, rather boring but miles better than expensive ones. I think expensive ones are just rotted away by the mud.

tiredoutgran Thu 23-Jan-14 06:02:40

Hunter do the Argyle, which they claim is the true farmers boot, guaranteed for a year, neoprene lined and is supposed to be leak proof. Hubbies lasted a month before he said they were leaking but that is a long time for him, I am not sure what he does with boots and shoes. In a normal person I could see them lasting well, just not quite so tall as the usual!

Yeah.

Lovelybunchofcocopops Mon 20-Jan-14 18:07:49

After much research and looking at your suggestions, I am getting.....
Drum roll.........
Aigle's

Thanks for all your suggestions.

somewhatavoidant Sat 18-Jan-14 08:17:07

Muck boots. Ugly but unbeatable for comfort & warmth. Can't ride in them as neoprene tears but brilliant otherwise!

Totesamazeballs Sat 18-Jan-14 08:15:08

Le chameau are doing well for me at the moment. My muck boots split after one winter season!

mrslaughan Sat 18-Jan-14 08:12:14

I got mine true to size, and same with DH....never thought I would be passionate about gumboots - but I love mine.

Pixel Sat 18-Jan-14 00:06:28

smaths My Aigles are definitely snug. I usually have size six wellies, they are a little long but I get them big for the width and also so I can wear thick socks. I ended up with size seven Aigles and they are only just ok. If they'd had 7.1/2 I'd have wanted to try them on just so they felt a bit looser across the top of my foot. But then I have wide feet and high arches. My mum has 'normal' feet and got her usual size. She is happy with them but says they are a slimmer fit in the foot than she is used to.
Don't forget these are ladies boots though, maybe they are trying to make them look more 'ladylike'? The men's boots might be different again so don't rely on what I say! confused

CountryCob Fri 17-Jan-14 23:25:03

Muck boots, nothing is better, husband wears them shooting now, used to work all day on freezing Peak District yard with warm feet, make sure you get ones with thred though there are some smooth soled ones I have never seen the point of

smaths Fri 17-Jan-14 11:24:37

Those with aigles with neoprene, what is the fit like? Are they true to size or do you need to size up? Hubby is looking to get a pair as his thermal dunlops are done, hes a farmer so they need to be comfy and hard wearing (and warm!) Any recommendations for where to buy online apart from amazon for the parcours iso 2?Can't find any stockists handy here in NI.

ExitPursuedByTheRoyalPrude Thu 16-Jan-14 22:31:29

Aigle here

elastamum Thu 16-Jan-14 20:55:32

Muck boots for yard in winter. Ride in toggi long leather boots, a lot cheaper than Dubarry and tougher. Have mountain horse short boots and chaps in summer, which have lasted years. Hunters are crap now and have stopped buying them.

Pixel Thu 16-Jan-14 17:31:14

Wore my new Aigles today. They seem fine but time will tell!

binger Wed 15-Jan-14 21:50:59

I wear muck boots for dog walking, every day. I've had this pair 2 years. I was fed up with cracking/splitting but these are tough. They have a neoprene cuff round top which keeps you dry.

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 15-Jan-14 21:36:19

If aigle wellies are as good as their jumpers I'll get them next.

My aigle jumper is 12.5 years old and still as good as the day I bought it.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-Jan-14 21:32:34

Mine don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now