Hunter wellies are rubbish these days - what do you put on your feet to go in muddy fields?

(75 Posts)
Lovelybunchofcocopops Mon 13-Jan-14 19:41:47

I must admit I do love a pair of hunters, they are soooo comfy, but these days they last 6 months (if that) before they start splitting/cracking/leaking etc
Have tried Ariat mud busters, but they managed 8 months before splitting.
Knackered up my Toggi canyons by going in the field with them on - I know, I know, only myself to blame for that one!
Am thinking of Barbour, but don't know anyone who has had them.

What do you wise horse people recommend for wading thru muddy fields?

mooomeee Mon 13-Jan-14 22:42:21

you will never look back these are the best god damn wellies ever!

I have had my pair for 4 years, i wear them every single day, usually all day. They keep my feet lovely and warm, never smell, never leaked. I honestly would never have any other wellies. Can not recommend enough!

annieapple7 Mon 13-Jan-14 22:53:05

Another vote for Muckboots - neoprene makes them super warm, very comfy for walking, and neoprene on calves means they are comfy and snug even on my enormo-calves.

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 07:18:39

Aigle parcours

Had for 4 years they are brilliant these are my second pair in 13 years

Are muck boots waterproof? Dd3 has the short ones and her feet always seem to get wet

Comfy and warm though

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 07:21:51

Dunlops are so huge round the top, the rain gets in

Dubarrys silly money and nouveau grin
Le chameau poor quality now, ditto hunters
Joules non supportive and bad quality
Ariat don't last

Rooners Tue 14-Jan-14 07:25:24

Derri boots. Except if you leave them out in the rain (like ds does when he borrows mine) they get saturated round the top.

Come to think of it where are his ones? hmm

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 07:26:10

Have googled muck boots and realised that I bought dd3 woof wear instead confused muck boots are what I wanted blush

MissMilbanke Tue 14-Jan-14 07:28:48

I have a pair of Barbour and they are great - much better than the Hunters I also have.

I bought mine for £10 from their outlet and they are the mid calf size ones. Got a really padded insole inside, so keep warm all the time.

Dunlops would be my next recommendation.

have you got a farm supplies shop nearby ? They have all sorts of brands worn by farmers and the like.

Muck boots lover here as well.
Especially as I do not have the slimmest of calves (all muscle...probably) and the stretch bit is brilliant.

hunter boots are not proper boots any more, they are a fashion item. What is the world coming to? Mutter mutter mutter

mateysmum Tue 14-Jan-14 07:31:21

Another one for Aigle. Definitely the brand of choice out here in the Somerset mud.

Hunters are rubbish now, I moved to muck boots last year and whilst they are warm and dry I have two problems with them - the grip has completely worn off and I now slither about which isn't great, and a split has developed where the neoprene meets the rubber at the back above my heel. As no water is coming in I'm not replacing them yet, but if it snows or is icy I will no doubt be on my backside!

They are not pretty and are a bit short in the calf but have lasted longer than the Hunters and are warmer. I have just bought some Toggi Quebecs for smarter out door occasions (birthday money, there's no way I could afford them normally!) and so far they are great.

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 10:24:10

I'd like a pair of the insulated aigles and a pair of Spanish riding boots for vaguely smart muddy pony things when I am a spectator ie shows, hunt meets

Rooners Tue 14-Jan-14 10:37:10

I wouldn't want to wear Spanish boots in the mud! They are far too nice smile

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 13:29:34

No me neither shock

But I need a 'smart yet practical' boot that aren't wellies

Butkin Tue 14-Jan-14 15:44:28

def not Hunters - useless.

I'm sticking with Le Chameaus - maybe we've been lucky but they have been smart, long wearing, comfortable and with their neoprene lining very warm. The way they fit the upper leg is great - too many willies are baggy there.

Butkin Tue 14-Jan-14 15:44:50

Damn automatic spelling corrector!!

Pixel Tue 14-Jan-14 15:46:04

I did look at the Croc wellies when I went past the Croc shop during Christmas shopping, although from inside the shop I probably looked like this hmm as they are pretty horrible looking! But I would be tempted if it meant I finally had a welly that lasted me more than two months (have just been mending latest pair with a bicycle tyre repair kit blush). The question is, are they comfy for very wide feet with high arches? I have such trouble finding wellies to fit me. Also, do they have the same sort of sole as the normal sort of Croc clogs? Cos I find them incredibly slippy in the wet and not very hard-wearing.

Molecule Tue 14-Jan-14 15:51:19

Le Chameau are made in Morocco and France. Apparently they've had a Moroccan factory since inception in the 1950s, hence the name. I only know this as I took part in some consumer research on wellies last year. Have to say mine are lovely and warm, but I'm not a hard-core welly wearer.

Craggyhollow Tue 14-Jan-14 16:18:19

One of the dds had the Croc wellies and they were pants

Positively dangerous in the wet

Wearegoingtobedlehem Tue 14-Jan-14 22:48:57

Another for aigle parcours (sp?) here - into second winter of hard farm/horse/dog walking wear and still as good as new/super comfy/ warm. Got mine for a good price on amazon.

Pixel Tue 14-Jan-14 23:28:49

My mum just bought some Aigles today. I'm going to try them on tomorrow then I'll know what size to order smile.

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 14-Jan-14 23:32:42

I took advice from you lovely people after my Cabotswood boots (like Dubarrys but much cheaper) sprang a leak. They'd done four years of constant dogwalking in mud so they didn't owe me anything.

Got Muck Boots, and so far am absolutely delighted with them.

Tried on Aigles as well, but Muck Boots more comfy (and cheaper too).

Pixel Wed 15-Jan-14 17:14:55

Well I just bought some Aigles for £26 in a sale so fingers crossed! smile

I have Aigles that are about 6 months old and still ok and a pair of le Chamaeau neoprene lined that I only wear in winter as they are so warm which are 8 years old. Not sure any of them are that great anymore tbh. Wellies don't seem to have the grip they once had. Or maybe I'm just getting old. grin

Pixel Wed 15-Jan-14 21:17:35

I did look at dunlops but why do they have to have DUNLOP written across the side in big white letters? <shallow>

PeanutPatty Wed 15-Jan-14 21:32:21

Steer well clear of JustTogs Mudruckers. Absolute rubbish. Two pairs cracked in six months and I contacted them to complain/ get replacements and I was blatantly ignored and stonewalled. I will never touch another JT product ever again. They don't care about their customers or product suitability/performance.

Now I spend my money on Dublin Deluxe Neoprenes. Wonderful product and awesome customer service. Nothing is too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now