AIBU? Value of horse

(33 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Tue 29-Oct-13 20:19:17

I might be being a bit inflexible here, or vendors might be taking the piss. How can you know? They want double the amount I think he's worth, but of course they know I (or we really, he is/will be my daughter's) really really want him. For lots of reasons I think they would prefer us to have him than to sell him on the open market, we'll keep him where he is, they can still take him to the 2014 championships he qualified for this weekend.

Pony/horse (15hh) is an absolute sweetheart, he's 7, current owners could easily make him worth something closer to the amount they are asking but right now we both know nobody will pay more than I'm offering. He was a disaster to hunt and to SJ in an indoor arena, but he is doing very well in XC for example and in all other respects is perfect.

Should I dig my heels in and prepare to walk away and look for something else, which will already be quite sad and difficult as daughter is getting attached, or think about him in terms of what he is worth to us rather than what he would fetch out there, today?

grateful for any thoughts

Mitchy1nge Tue 05-Nov-13 14:42:41

he's ok really, that pic was taken this summer AGES ago, it's just a thing he sometimes does, it's ok!

I still hack him out at weekends when I have to but it's nice for my daughter to have something she can enjoy and get confidence from, really just want someone to ride him once or twice during the week as a minimum.

saintmerryweather Thu 07-Nov-13 06:54:10

rodeo joe is gorgeous!

i would probably think.id walk away from the new horse but in reality if i really really wanted it i would negotiate as far as possible then buy it anyway

Mitchy1nge Fri 08-Nov-13 11:36:23

". . . then buy it anyway"

yeah smile I like that!

Pixel Sun 10-Nov-13 16:14:38

Have you bought it yet?

Mitchy1nge Sun 10-Nov-13 17:47:44

no, actually am feeling really 'do we need all these horses' so tired from the extra riding and general work already - you'd think one more wouldn't hurt but it's winter and it does! as lovely as he is we could equally love something cheaper and lower maintenance and I would just feel so much happier if I was doing more with rodeo boy

have had chat with owners and we all know where we stand which is that they will continue preparing him for sale we can just ride him if we want and or make them a better offer

I must be so irritating to deal with confused

mrslaughan Sun 10-Nov-13 19:26:18

I really expected to come back and hear you had bought him!!!!!

Oh well, what will be, will be

Mitchy1nge Sun 10-Nov-13 19:49:50

I suppose we still might, although these (lovely lovely lovely) people don't ever seem to actually sell any of their horses - I don't think they really want to deep down, hence the slightly unrealistic price tags on them all, as far as I can tell they haven't sold a single one yet and they're all fantastic

mrslaughan Sun 10-Nov-13 22:24:40

Aaaaarrrrrrrrhhhhhhh well there you go, then you can keep on riding it, forever and ever :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now