Would love to take up riding again... am I too big?

(32 Posts)
awakemysoull Wed 23-Oct-13 22:11:08

I done riding lessons from the age of 10-13 when I was thrown off and broke both my arms. It put me off riding again but I still have a love of horses.

My brother started riding about 2 years ago and is doing it 3 times a week now. He has built a fantastic relationship with a horse and is hoping to buy her soon.

I don't know what he weighs, but he is a lot bigger and taller than me.

I'm 5'8 and 18st 2lb (size 20) at the moment. I'm on the Cambridge plan so losing about 7lb per week.

He has offered me the chance to start lessons with him.

I'm scared I'm too big and will hurt the horse. I know he's a lot heavier than me and the horse seems fine but I'm just scared I'll hurt her.

Any advice?

I'm not even sure the actual size of the horse but she is massive

FoxyHarlow123 Wed 30-Oct-13 07:12:15

Miss guinea pigs, how do you know the horse had no problem carrying your weight? They can't talk, they won't buckle at the knee but it doesn't mean they won't suffer discomfort and back problems.

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Wed 30-Oct-13 13:14:02

Did you miss my previous post Foxy? (Tue 20.59)

awakemysoull Wed 30-Oct-13 14:15:55

Can I point out to the people who seems disgusted with me for even thinking of getting back into riding that I AM NOT GOING FOR LESSONS UNTIL I AM DOWN TO 12 STONE AT THE VERY MOST.

It was just a question, I have seen a lot bigger people on horses and I wondered what the horse/weight ratio should be.

I understand and have said several times up the thread that I'm not going to go for lessons. It wouldn't be fair on the horse and I don't want to cause it any suffering.

MissGuineapigsInAPumpkin Wed 30-Oct-13 16:55:26

Foxy, I was provided with the horse by the riding school based on my height and weight, I trusted their judgement.

Pixel Wed 30-Oct-13 17:05:24

awakemysoull I don't think you have to wait that long, plenty of riding schools have a limit of 14 stone but that is because they don't have the horses that can carry more than that, it doesn't mean that there aren't any horses that can carry more than that comfortably (for example highlands are bred to carry huge stags down mountains, a 15 stone human wouldn't seem that much to them). I personally think 18 stone is too much to expect of a horse (and I realise you are in full agreement with that) but I wouldn't necessarily object to 15 stone on a suitable horse with properly fitting tack, so don't feel too bad smile.
You are correct that there are lots of larger people riding but that doesn't make it right so fair play to you for putting the horse's welfare first, too many people don't IMO.

Mitchy1nge Wed 30-Oct-13 20:32:58

agree with pixel, you are not that far away from getting back in the saddle

well done so far and good luck, keep us posted smile

(you see loads of quite big men out hunting for a full day so not everyone has to weigh about 6 stone)

pipsy76 Thu 31-Oct-13 08:14:30

It's a great aspiration, good on you for doing such positive things! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now