why am I suddenly horrifically lop-sided in the saddle?

(42 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Wed 23-Oct-13 21:02:51

have been googling 'the collapsed hip' and I think that's it, my weight drops almost entirely into my right heel - it's only since riding another horse more often that I've discovered I am the reason the pony's saddle slides slowly down his right side blush since I do the same thing to something similarly fat shaped. In fact the only one I don't actually slide off after half an hour or so is my own high-withered one.

am pretty sure I never used to ride like this, so why has it happened and what can I do about it? am a freak sad

Pixel Tue 05-Nov-13 16:59:16

grin

Mitchy1nge Tue 05-Nov-13 12:02:25

yeah, of course. I know. <pats head>

Pixel Mon 04-Nov-13 22:39:32

I should hope not! shock

Actually he isn't fat, he's just right, he's a cob that's all. <glares>

Mitchy1nge Mon 04-Nov-13 22:24:24

not saying your horse is fat though shock

Mitchy1nge Mon 04-Nov-13 22:24:00

grin (although have to admit, I also ache after riding the fat ones but is not usually a whole year between rides!)

Pixel Mon 04-Nov-13 21:35:34

Oh last time he did a bit of a stag leap shy and she went on for weeks about her 'whiplash'. And apparently he's too wide because she ached a bit after her first ride in about a year (I had to silently count to ten at this point).

Mitchy1nge Mon 04-Nov-13 20:43:49

why on earth not? what is wrong with people?

Pixel Mon 04-Nov-13 17:29:26

Should add that the reason I didn't get it was because sis hasn't got anything to ride atm, not because I didn't think the book looked any good! She doesn't seem to want to ride dhorse for some reason...hmm.

Mitchy1nge Sun 03-Nov-13 22:55:44

oh thanks pixel, that looks great and lots of chirpy reviews

Pixel Sun 03-Nov-13 22:52:52

I happened to see this last night when I was looking for something else. I remembered because I briefly thought about getting it for my sister.

Mitchy1nge Sun 03-Nov-13 21:12:19

oh yuck

but you are both right of course, it's not so bad on narrower horses but I will try some no stirrups work on our own fat pony tomorrow he will probably kill me but it has been lovely knowing you all

Booboostoo Sun 27-Oct-13 07:26:22

Ah if it is you then the only solution is lunge lessons with no stirrups and no reins. It hurts but it works!

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Sat 26-Oct-13 21:49:35

Try lots of stirrupless schooling. You wont be able to work the saddle to one side so easily without stirrups and youll have to work to level out or you will slide off!
Pretty much everyone has a favoured hip, its normal. You just need to fix the tilt in your seat. And try not to lean to far, youll just confuse the horse with wonky aids. Its more important to stay straight and try and correct the dodgy leg rather than keeping the wonk and balancing to correct the rest.

Mitchy1nge Sat 26-Oct-13 16:39:10

(it must be quite annoying for the horses? confused I feel bad about the amount of annoying stuff they just put up with)

Mitchy1nge Sat 26-Oct-13 16:37:59

nah it's me, because am doing it on everything I ride (except the one with high withers, or I do but it's not so noticeable because his back isn't flat?) and nobody else who rides the pony has this problem - which I wish I'd known before I complained about the saddle (completely brand NEW, properly and expensively fitted) gah

Booboostoo Sat 26-Oct-13 16:23:24

It may not be you, it's worth checking the saddle and the pony as well.

Mitchy1nge Sat 26-Oct-13 15:38:43

that's so evil pixel!

well am just making an effort to lean to the other side and think it's working ok so far - the horse is so unfit we won't be out for long anyway

am still v excited about it though, hope nobody recognises me from last time hmm

Pixel Sat 26-Oct-13 00:48:20

Can't do that, the chimes mean they've run out of ice-cream dontcha know <cruel parent>.

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Sat 26-Oct-13 00:04:10

No no Pixel thats not how you do it! you listen out for the ice cream van chimes, then drive further up the road, stop and wait. Saves running at all then! grin
Or, failing that make a child do the running! wink

Pixel Fri 25-Oct-13 23:09:18

Ooh you need a lesson on one of those mechanical horse things that's all computerised and tells you if you are sitting up straight or not. I'm dying to have a go, I've seen them at a couple of shows this summer but didn't quite have the nerve with all the people there.

I always knew running was bad for you, which is why I never do it except in extreme circumstances such as chasing an icecream van.

Mitchy1nge Fri 25-Oct-13 22:43:49

or could just get some skinnier horses?

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Fri 25-Oct-13 22:39:39

grin
Im sure you can fix it! Maybe you need a session or two with an instructor who can make suggestions?

Mitchy1nge Fri 25-Oct-13 22:37:35

argh I bet you are right, you so often are!

so . . . finally find something I like doing that isn't illegal and that I can actually afford and it interferes with the rest of my life

WHY IS LIFE SO CRUEL

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Fri 25-Oct-13 22:27:12

I reckon its your new running muscles making it harder to open your hips on a wider horse.

Mitchy1nge Fri 25-Oct-13 22:16:16

smile she will be even nicer than a foal I'm sure (do you ever dream that you are having different baby animals? had that so often when I was pregnant!)

but still don't know why I am riding like a strange lop-sided weirdo, whether I will just magically stop it or if there is something I could/should do - is not a great position for full days of hunting is it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now