Most ridiculous thing your horse has spooked at?

(56 Posts)
dopeysheep Thu 03-Oct-13 20:33:32

Today mine went all jelly legged and snorty becausea bunch of daddy long legs flew out of the hedge at his face height. Sigh.
A bit later on he sauntered past a lit up fire engine and some council workers in hi viz with petrol strimmers. Absolutely fine.

Pixel Tue 15-Oct-13 14:24:26

We had a hot air balloon crash-land in our field once, the horses weren't all that bothered considering. A stray child's balloon (one of those metallic character ones) caused chaos confused.

Pixel Tue 15-Oct-13 14:26:50

Oh and I remember the first time my old pony met a donkey. We were in the middle of giving pony rides at the primary school fete when it turned up. That was er..interesting!

Wickedgirl Wed 16-Oct-13 13:23:42

My dd pony loves donkeys. When we first got him he used to hang around the bottom field as there were donkeys in the next field over. He is scared of pigs though....he heard them (rather than saw them) and freaked out at the noise.

SelectAUserName Wed 16-Oct-13 16:44:27

My first horse (Arab mare) mainly spooked at things which were no longer there. So - haylage bale in field: fine. Next day, haylage bale gone from field: major spook at space. Cows in field: fine. Next day, cows gone from field: major spook at empty field. It made a sort of sense; I assumed that she was spooking at the fear that whatever was big enough to eat an entire haylage bale or field of cows in a day was obviously big enough to eat her too and might still be lurking.

My last horse, before I had to give up due to health problems, was an ex-racehorse so he was fine hacking in company but took a LOT of work to get him confident hacking alone. His hacking week went something like this:

Monday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello wheelie bin, hello carrier bag, hello cows…EEEK! Purple flowers! RUN!
Tuesday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello carrier bag, hello cows, hello purple flowers…EEK! Wheelie bin! RUN!
Wednesday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello wheelie bin, hello cows, hello purple flowers…EEK! Carrier bag! RUN!
Thursday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello wheelie bin, hello carrier bag, hello cows…EEK! Purple flowers! RUN!
Friday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello wheelie bin, hello carrier bag, hello purple flowers…EEK! Cows! Run!
Saturday: EEK! Trees! RUN! EEK! Sky! RUN! EEK! Wheelie bin! RUN! EEK! Carrier bag! RUN! EEK! Cows! RUN! EEK! Purple flowers! RUN!
Sunday: Hello trees, hello sky, hello wheelie bin, hello carrier bag, hello cows, hello purple flowers. Ooh, are we home already?

shootingstar1234 Fri 01-Nov-13 15:49:37

Definitely has to be when we had the surface changed at work. Was sat on one of my boss's horses, who decided to rear at the black line that had appeared at the entrance to the school. Said horse then leapt about three foot over it however was more than happy to walk round on the new surface- which was bright red and blue shredded carpet :/

ExitPursuedByABogieMan Fri 01-Nov-13 16:24:22

I love that Select I am going to print it off and show it to my DD who has a new horse who is the biggest wuss going. Except when he is scared he jumps up banks or on top of walls.

We have great hope for his Cross County abilities!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now