Lead rein experts - tell me what to do

(10 Posts)
mrslaughan Sat 31-Aug-13 18:08:34

Ds is going in his first gymkhana on Monday - riding school and livery yard where we both ride is having a back to school gymkhana. Ds did the own a pony day where they did a lot of games which he loved. Riding school is lending us a pony (will be one of his "regulars") but one of his RI has said the ponies tend to get excited , so I am going to do the lead rein thing..... One of the helpers has done it before..... So what do I do? Do I put the halter over his bridle- leaving reins free and attach a lead rope?
Think the girls normally just hold onto nose band, but want to give him a bit more space , and just be there for emergencies.

He is not gungho at all, but is very excited about taking part. The gymkhana is really for the kids with there own ponies, so he feels very special grin
Of all things, most excited about getting ponies hooves ready......(along with games)

mrslaughan Sat 31-Aug-13 18:09:37

Ps - there will be lots of people around on Monday to help- but just want to get it straight in my mind......

CMOTDibbler Sat 31-Aug-13 18:10:40

You either use a bit coupler under their chin with the lead rope attached to that, or clip the lead rein to the far side of the bit, thread rope under chin and through the other side of the bit.

Have a great time!

mrslaughan Sat 31-Aug-13 18:25:34

Oh great - thanks cmt - that's what instructor does when she takes him out on a hack on lead rein.

I am sure it will be a blast.

Backinthebox Sat 31-Aug-13 18:47:23

We do what CMOT says, or attach the lead rein to the back of the noseband. If you are just doing games, the first way should be fine. If you are doing a lead rein showing class, make sure you read the rules - after suffering 2yo DS roaring like a dinosaur all the way through his first showing class this year the judge took me on one side and said we were technically eliminated for having the lead rein on the bit instead of the noseband, but we'd have won if not for that. Thanks, judge!

Have fun - DD (6yo) is a games addict these days, in spite of having the slowest pony in creation!

If it becomes a regular thing, try getting one of these:- www.rideaway.co.uk/SHIRES-LARGE-BRASS-NEWMARKET-CHAIN, you will find it incredibly useful.

I use mine for walking out big horse inhand when the headcollar isn't enough and I need the bridle, leading little horse from big horse, lead reining from the ground, and lunging too.

SlowlorisIncognito Sat 31-Aug-13 19:41:58

If the pony does not have a noseband, and you want to leave the reins/bit free from interference, for an informal gymkana, you could put a well fitting headcollar on under the bridle and attach a lead rein to that. Those chain clips are really good too, and it's possible the riding school might have one lying around if you ask.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but when going at speed (as in a gymkana) do all your turns by pushing the pony away from you, as it's much safer for your feet.

If you have gloves and boots, wear them!

Even low key gymkhanas tend to get pretty excitable and competitive, so be prepared! It will be great fun though!

mrslaughan Sat 31-Aug-13 19:51:18

Yes will put hat and gloves on - I ride too.....trying to decide whether to wear my country boots or runners.....runners will support me more on the arena surface - but my country boots will protect my feet better if I get stood on.

Frosty - that looks great - I might whip over too titmas on monday morning and see if they have one.

I think it will become a regular thing - he is not interested in jumping (yet - but I am not sure he will ever have the confidence to do it competitively, I may me wrong) - but he loved the games on the pony day - and it was great, as it made him push himself with his riding, where he normally makes sure he is WELL within his limits.

mrslaughan Sat 31-Aug-13 19:54:36

I am sure it will be competitive, but it is a really friendly yard, so I am sure it will be a huge amount of fun.

DS is also a little bit of a novelty, as so few boys ride (such a shame). I am positive lots of the "helpers" will be riding as well and they know him really well.

I don't care if he sits on pony and only does one game - as long as he has fun and gets a bit more of a taste for it. It will be also good for him to see the other kids jump - and realise jumping does not mean burghley size all the time.

Mirage Sat 31-Aug-13 20:02:37

Have fun! We had to put DD2's pony on lead rein for games as he got very excited and was very fast.DH said he didn't know the meaning of competative until he saw lead rein mums doing games.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now