First riding gear

(37 Posts)
Curleyhazel Fri 09-Aug-13 22:45:26

Dd is starting riding lessons soon and I wondered what basic gear I need to get for her. I guess a hat and body protector are essential but what else will she need to get started?

Also (and this is a bit silly) but she saw a girl at the pony club with a pink body protector. Does anyone know where I might find one? Tia

VeryHappyMama Sun 11-Aug-13 16:20:33

Just had a quick read through sorry if it's already been mentioned but trousers without a seam (so not jeans) would be good and once she is into it a pair of jodphurs would be comfiest. I know some people ride in jeans but I find it v.uncomfortable...

Pixel Sun 11-Aug-13 17:22:12

Sorry Butkin, it's just that I can think of lots of things much better than willies grin.

Butkin Sun 11-Aug-13 20:14:48

We drive over an hour to get to Ingatestone Saddlery - we think it's great. www.ingatestonesaddlery.co.uk/

Patchetts makes me shudder!

thingamajig Sun 11-Aug-13 20:19:15

Colman's Croft in St Albans is where I went as a child, it was brilliant then, dont know now.

Frenchatty Mon 12-Aug-13 10:43:53

Thanks cookielove, that's really useful.

burberryqueen Mon 12-Aug-13 10:57:32

butkin can i ask why Patchetts makes you shudder?
i am just curious as I finished my training there 30 years ago when it was quite a different place, it was a lovely friendly school.

Butkin Tue 13-Aug-13 04:03:36

We go to a BSPS show (15a) in the Spring at Patchetts every year. It is always rammed and very competitive. The car parks overfill by about 7am and then you have to go across the motorway and bring the ponies across on the footbridge. The warm ups are always heaving and the classes chock full of top ponies.

Nothing wrong with the place at all but it is probably one of our most stressful shows of the year - mostly because of the car parking..

burberryqueen Tue 13-Aug-13 14:50:57

ahh fond memories of the motorway footbridge...grin

stevenmcintyre Tue 10-Sep-13 23:52:31

I order all my saddlery from TexanSaddles.com who ship for free and stock a large range of saddles. Customer support is good too for an online tack shop.

mrslaughan Wed 11-Sep-13 07:51:56

Titmuss in weathampstead is good if you still looking for a tack shop in herts

ExitPursuedByADragon Wed 11-Sep-13 07:58:46

I don't think she will need a body protector yet.

goldie81 Thu 19-Sep-13 06:55:15

Shop near park street/watford- are you on about butterfoal?
Patchetts great- maybe slightly more expensive, but one member staff especially who is amazing & just knows everything!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now