anyone doing pony club camp?

(45 Posts)
burberryqueen Sun 04-Aug-13 14:21:40

new to pony club but dd 14 is doing the camp with her pony,,,,,it seems a bit cliquey ofc but then it would to a new person i suppose...
what to expect/avoid?
i volunteered for one revolting job right at the beginning in the hope that would let me off the hook for the week.
anyone?
tia

Oh poor DD.

Regarding blue jackets. DD's isn't that naff showjumping blue. I know the ones you mean.

burberryqueen Fri 09-Aug-13 13:15:38

thanks both of you - it is a bit tricky round here as it is very rural and I do not have a trailer - will see what i can come up with.
mind you I have not heard from the DC yet - only heard the bad news as I went to the riding centre to do some voluntary chore - so perhaps they are working on plan B as we speak.
still haven't been home to tell DD ....she is going to weeeeeeep and waaaaaaaaaaaiil!!

Gilbertus Fri 09-Aug-13 13:11:58

What an awful shame I really feel for you. There are Tons of shows at this time of year, maybe the instructors would give group lessons every day to her and a group of friends?

Butkin Fri 09-Aug-13 12:35:27

Oh that is awful - what a shame for your DD. Speak to the DC and see if there is anything else you can sign her up to - show jumping lessons, dressage, Cross Country etc during the rest of the holidays. Trawl the internet to see what local competitions you could enter her for..

burberryqueen Fri 09-Aug-13 12:16:37

OMG the camp has been cancelled due to an outbreak of strangles in the area = what the effing eff do i tell my daughter????

Gilbertus Fri 09-Aug-13 07:15:25

Dd1 wears her blue jacket for show jumping as it's more 'bling' smile

Butkin Thu 08-Aug-13 20:59:52

Agree with Gilbertus - tweed only for Pony Club regardless of type of pony.

I was just pointing out that blue isn't common in all equestrian activities but you'd never wear it for Pony Club or hunting.

Gilbertus Thu 08-Aug-13 20:28:13

And it doesn't matter if you have a show pony - if it's pony club, it's tweed.

Gilbertus Thu 08-Aug-13 20:25:47

I did say pony club not showing!

burberryqueen Thu 08-Aug-13 17:33:37

i think those blue showjumping jackets are just 'incorrect' wear for pony club turnout etc....that is what 'common' meant here...grin its a minefield...

DD has a show pony so is blue OK? Not sure when you say it is not common, whether you it is not commonly worn, or people won't be tutting behind our backs.

confused

burberryqueen Thu 08-Aug-13 15:01:03

right yeh - the correct kit is 'ratcatcher' - anyone got a spare size 10 ish tweed jacket they would like to sell? grin

Butkin Thu 08-Aug-13 14:58:17

I think at Pony Club all children wear tweed because of the (historical) link with hunting. You'd never wear black or blue out hunting as a child.

Blue's not common in a show jacket. You should always wear one when riding a show pony. Tweed in showing is for M&Ms/SHP/Workers Black only for show jumpers.

Blue common!

Oh it's ok, we are in the north where we are all common.

burberryqueen Wed 07-Aug-13 10:17:03

grin as i expected then, thanks...

Gilbertus Wed 07-Aug-13 10:14:33

For pony club? Ours all wear tweed. Dd1 has a blue show jumping jacket that she wore once at a show. She decided to enter Best Pony Club Pony. She was placed 4th and the judge said she would have been higher 'had she not been wearing that common jacket' grin

burberryqueen Wed 07-Aug-13 08:59:15

could anyone advise would a blue show jacket be OK for the best turned out or would that be considered "naff"?

Littlebigbum Mon 05-Aug-13 22:55:29

just reading all post, so funny glad my son is to old and far to laid back

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 05-Aug-13 22:35:07

Horror stories aside, DD has been to camp many times. Our friend was head of PC at a branch centre. I used to go every summer to assist/teach stable management, and in return, DD got a place in the camp. She started at six on a mini Shetland, and stopped a couple of years ago, riding the star jumping pony. It was lovely, because everybody was on a school pony, everyone was equal, parents buggered off and it was good plain fun! We had a little show at the end, polo lessons, hacking, guest instructors, joe Whittaker <<swoon>> picnic rides, quiz nights, it was GREAT! Much nicer than the local PC!

Butkin Mon 05-Aug-13 22:13:43

Our Mini Camp (2 days for under 8s) was really fun. Junior Camp is 5 days - going every day for off the lead reiners aged 8 to 11 and we have intermediate camp which is 5 days residential for 11-15 although one of those days the parents have to take the ponies to a cross country centre for a day trip. We do run a Senior camp for 15+ but this is only 2 days non-residential with a final BBQ which is really for high level badge training and a last social before they give up.

I loved Saggy's recount. I can quite easily see some of our PC mothers (not actually the Committee who - like me! - are really nice and friendly) being similarly bitchy ("stones and glass houses" come to mind). To be fair if children turn up on reasonably well behaved ponies and everybody pitches in they would get on fine at our PC. One thing about our PC is that we don't care what the ponies are, or how much they cost, but they do need to do the job and give their jockeys a nice time. The parents we don't like are the ones who don't do their share..

Dd is 13 so that explains it.

<relief>

Gilbertus Mon 05-Aug-13 21:28:40

We do that at senior camp (ie after 11). Mini camp (under 8) and junior camp (8-11) go every day

You go to camp with them shock

Not round here you don't.

Deliver child and pony Monday morning and collect Friday evening.

Sorted

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 05-Aug-13 21:18:32

North Essex. Ours is Essex and Suffolk pony club. Scary!

burberryqueen Mon 05-Aug-13 19:05:06

well thank you everyone for your tales of camp grin.....fascinating indeed, I would love to know where in the UK you all are...south/north/east/west?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now