If you saw an adult on a 16.2hh horse competing in a 2' showjumping class would you think they were utterly ridiculous and shouldn't be there?

(33 Posts)
Smartieaddict Tue 16-Jul-13 12:05:06

Just that really. I am just coming back to competing after a bit of a 15 year break, and I am quite frankly a bit of a wimp. I have a lovely horse who is capable of jumping round a 3' course quite happily, but I am not brave enough yet.

I am hoping to do a couple of local shows in the last few weeks, and I am not sure what classes I should be entering. I feel like I should be jumping 2'6'' and above, but I am not sure my nerves can take it just yet, so am I going to be laughed off the showground if I am doing 2' and 2'3" classes? Thanks.

KallieT Wed 16-Oct-13 16:36:11

Nope - Go for it!!
I recently took my youngster to his first show and we trotted around the kiddies jumping course - all X pole type jumps and didnt feel at all silly!
I know full well my horse could have gone in to a 'proper' class but I was wimpy about it and opted for the fun stuff instead! Good Luck!

CountryCob Wed 16-Oct-13 23:22:39

I think you should go for it two, as long as you and horsey enjoy it nothing else matters, much more sensible than over facing yourself good luck wink

CountryCob Wed 16-Oct-13 23:23:03

Too not two!

Littlebigbum Thu 17-Oct-13 00:02:30

Love it beans on toast

trooperlooperdo Thu 17-Oct-13 15:24:42

my worry would be that a 16.2 is going to get his legs in a pickle in the shirt distances in classes designed for ponies.

As for what anyone else thinks, who the heck cares, as long as you and your horse is having fun, that's all that matters, besides, you haven't a hope in hell of beating the ponies smile

trooperlooperdo Thu 17-Oct-13 15:36:56

SHORT distances smile

Plomino Fri 18-Oct-13 23:35:24

I've done it ! Did it on big horse having had a real confidence losing fall a few years ago . Stupid bugger refused to take it all seriously and decided to jump every 2 foot fence like he was at bloody Hickstead . The commentator was in hysterics by the end of it , and we got a huge round of applause . Oddly enough , it managed to almost completely restore my confidence in one go ! When you can , go and enjoy yourselves .

How is your boy ? Is he any better ?

christine44 Sat 19-Oct-13 08:57:03

Join your local riding club. They will do shows where no adult feels foolish for jumping any height and you will have the company of others in the same boat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now