Should I lunge my older horse?

(7 Posts)
IWillStartOnMonday Mon 15-Jul-13 14:09:52

Ok thanks - walking it is!

burberryqueen Mon 15-Jul-13 09:48:29

yes the size of the circle - if your horse is fit enough then it is ok but a long walk out would be nicer for both of you ..

newfavouritething Sun 14-Jul-13 23:30:49

Why is it so intensive? Is it the size of the circle? It's the only proper exercise my horse ever gets and he's knocking on a bit.

PeanutPatty Sun 14-Jul-13 15:28:55

I wouldn't. No need. Start off with walking and build up slowly. Lunging is pretty intensive. Twenty mins is the equivalent to a full and thorough ridden work out. If he is stiff you could try Apple Cider Vinegar as a supplement.

burberryqueen Sun 14-Jul-13 15:21:05

no lunging an unfit horse puts a terrible strain on legs etc., you will have to take him for long gentle walks as 50bales said, it is the only way to build fitness.

50BalesOfHay Sun 14-Jul-13 15:18:55

I wouldn't. If all he's going to do is gentle hacking then just start at walk and build fitness that way.

IWillStartOnMonday Sun 14-Jul-13 15:12:16

I have a 24 year old Arab who hasn't really been worked very much in the past 2 years - before that he spent nearly his whole life out at grass 24/7 and was hacked a couple of times a week which seemed to suit him fine.

We have relocated a year ago and he is now at a yard and stabled at night, and we for the first time have access to a school. He has not been ridden very much in the last year as I have been pregnant (DC now 3 months) and his sharer has lost interest.

I'd like to get back to going on gentle hacks with him but due to time restrictions I wonder if I should try lunging him too?

He hasn't been lunged to my knowledge (except I imagine when he was being broken) and isn't particularly well schooled. (In a flexible sense, he is very well behaved.) He's quite stiff when riding in circles in the school, will lunging help this, or could it cause an injury? Any lunging tips? I have never lunged a horse before but everyone at the yard seems to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now