please could i have some valuation help

(11 Posts)

for a 13.1hh 5yr old mare, still green but very willing to learn. has been ridden by novice children and not put a foot wrong. jumps coloured poles/fillers and xc jumps inc ditches
never bucked, reared, bolted and not spooky
hacks alone and in company but slightly nervous of larger traffic alone
can be difficult to catch but will come if you have food (or just a rattly piece of paper)
good with farrier but never been shod on trimmed

its been a while since i have sold a pony and the current market seems a bit erratic

Lovesswimming Thu 04-Jul-13 12:57:23

Is she a Heinz 57?
She's young but when I've looked for ponies I've looked around £800 - £1200, ponies who've done lots at shows, events will go for more, those that have done well at pony club sell for lots but if you're being realistic I'd say around that. I'd have to say I'm no expert but have bought 12.2h and 13.1hh (one of them last summer) and had a good look round. I discounted those advertised over £1500. The one I bought last summer, the dad selling said he'd had lots if interest when they dropped the price to £1000. Hope that helps.

thanks, her breeding is unknown but she came from Bodmin Moor so im guessing Dartmoor x.
unfortunately i'm unable to get her any show or pony club experience as adults cannot ride ponies at our local show

Butkin Thu 04-Jul-13 13:38:35

I'd say start around 950 pounds and be prepared to drop if necessary. Do you have any teenagers who could compete her in some way - local show jumping etc? Without some form she will be hard to sell.

SlowlorisIncognito Thu 04-Jul-13 14:38:38

I think it is hard to say. If she is really safe for novice children, there is a good market there, but at 5 she probably needs someone a bit more experienced, especially if she hasn't been to many shows. I would get her out and about, even if you have to travel a bit further a feild, as this will add value.

What is her conformation like? What is she like to clip, travel etc? Does she ever bite or kick? What colour is she?

It's hard to tell without seeing some pictures to be honest.

I do think having a good advert can help though. Get some really good photos of her ridden, on the flat and over jumps, and then one or two conformation shots- so whole body, side on without a saddle. A video of her paces and over jumps is also a good idea if you are able to do this.

If you aren't desperate for a quick sale you could start in the £1200-1300 sort of range, but be open to offers. For a quick sale I would put her at £1000 or less. If you want more than that, then you should be getting her out doing things, even if it's just a few clear rounds jumping, as this shows she is likely to behave at shows.

SlowlorisIncognito - ive added some pics to my profile (will take some better ones for an advert). She doesnt have the best conformation but not terrible
great to clip, has traveled in a box and trailer with no issues
never bit or kicked (i've owned her since a 2yr old)
a friend who is smaller than me has offered to take her to the show and jump non-competitively
we are unable to go further afield as we have no transport, the local show is within hacking distance

its a shame as she was supposed to make 12.2hh so she was going to be for my boys but she kept growing and is now too big for them and too small for me to do anything with

Lovesswimming Thu 04-Jul-13 16:50:08

my Heinz 57 was £1k last year, I would have tried to get the price down a bit more but when my daughter rode her a storm appeared from no where, really loud thunder, pony didn't bat an eye, we carried on and she was really steady great 1st pony so I left a deposit and grabbed a vet the next day (daughter rode again and then she was vetted). she is older as well.
I agree with others either do a bit more and start around £1,200 but be patient and be prepared for cheeky offers, or sell her as she is ask for £950 or so and again be prepared to go a little lower. adjust the price again if it includes tack/ saddle/ rugs etc
I paid £1,500 about 2 1/2 years ago for our other pony, but she is a welsh B had done a lot of showing, I thought she was gorgeous and so paid (she was originally up for sale for £3k!). you usually need a 12.2hh max for lead rein and 1st ridden showing etc so you do need something smaller for your 2 (well you do round me anyway smile )
good luck, she looks lovely

Mirage Fri 05-Jul-13 20:16:29

We loan a very green 7 year old and took him on when he was 6 and had done nothing but been ridden on the property of his previous loaners.When I insured him we decided on a value of £500,as he hadn't even hacked out before,could hardly canter and didn't have much idea about jumping.

Your pony sounds lovely,whereabouts are you? My friend is looking for a pony like yours.

Floralnomad Fri 05-Jul-13 20:20:05

If you have children that are going to grow into her would it not be better to loan her out ,it may be more cost effective in the long term than having to buy again later .

Kormachameleon Fri 05-Jul-13 20:26:17

Market is dire at the moment

Tbh round this way [west midlands] you would be looking at getting £650 ish. I can't speak for other parts of the country

But on paper she is green, hasn't seen a lot, not great in heavy traffic if alone and only 5. There is still a fair bit of work to be done with her

mirage - im in Scunthorpe, North Lincs
i have tried loaning but nobody is interested

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now