Gawd what a day, I need a G&T!

(12 Posts)
Pixel Sun 30-Jun-13 19:17:24

Thanks Mirage. You managed to be soothing while telling me to get a grip at the same time, that's very clever! smile

Mirage Sun 30-Jun-13 17:45:35

You can cry on my shoulder.I'm so sorry that you are having such a tough time with dhorse.I think horse ownership is 1 step forward 2 steps back a lot of the time.Ignore the bitches at your yard and hold your head high,you are doing the right thing for your horse and he is more important than they are.

Pixel Sun 30-Jun-13 17:07:51

Things aren't going well, I think I would like a good cry actually!

Noticed during the week that dhorse's sheath and hind legs were swollen. Got the vet who discovered he's got a temperature and also noticed his glands were up and his nose was a bit runny. Cue panic and taking blood tests to make sure it isn't anything really nasty. Should get the results tomorrow but I'm fairly confident now that it's not anything beginning with S as his nose is no longer runny and he has a good appetite, just a little subdued in himself, (but then he is bored and lonely as well which doesn't help). He's got bute and antibiotics twice a day and the swelling on his legs has nearly gone already. I'm disappointed and worried of course but these things happen. Trouble is, he's got to stay in isolation for longer than planned so the ponies who were moved out of the next door paddock for the duration can't be moved back yet. Today I've been blanked and heard people bitching about me, as if it's my fault! Perhaps they'd rather I'd kept quiet and possibly infected their ponies with something? At least they'd have got their paddock back hmm.

Sorry for self-pitying rant but I'm very fed up sad. Tell me they are all horrible and I'm nice! or that I'm 46 not 8 and should get a grip, if you must

Booboostoo Mon 24-Jun-13 07:34:04

Oh well there is always the one!

Glad he is calmer and I hope his leg is fine and you can do the show!

Pixel Sun 23-Jun-13 18:56:58

Ha, we gave him Sedaline once, he went bonkers. Even when the vet sedates him he has to give enough drugs to fell an elephant. He is strange, my horse grin.

Well, a very subdued boy today, even let me kiss and cuddle him which is unheard of so he is obviously feeling sorry for himself. Keeps resting his back leg (which he never does normally) and is stiff when he turns. Hope he hasn't done any damage, he's never been lame before sad.

On a happier note, have just found out there is an in-hand show at the yard next sunday so if he is ok I can enter him in that, and no travelling required grin.

Booboostoo Sun 23-Jun-13 09:09:07

Most horses get upset with moves, it's sort of to be expected, although that doesn't make it easier for you! If he wasn't used to traveling, plus the wind kind of explain his high spirits. I am sure he will be his normal self when he settles - maybe it's worth lunging him the first time before you get back on?

Sedaline is quite good for many horses in this sort of situation, it can just take the edge off. I give some to all of mine when moving house or when a new one arrives.

Pixel Sun 23-Jun-13 00:00:17

Saggy, Dhorse is scared of shetlands so I think the sheep will probably be safe enough smile.

Plomino Sat 22-Jun-13 23:30:56

My first pony used to be a horror like this . I used to take her on holiday with a friend when I was younger and every year , she would make a point of trying to put me on the floor on the first ride out . Every single time . And every time we moved yards , and the first time I rode her out when we got them home . After that , good as gold .

But then she'd make a point of purposely kicking the 3rd bucket in bucket elimination too . No flies on that one !

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 22-Jun-13 23:24:13

Id be more concerned for the sheep personally! Ive seen more than one tossed by a horse!

Pixel Sat 22-Jun-13 20:36:14

Oh dear, hope she's ok. Good luck for the show!

My mum has just phoned to say she's driven up and spied on dhorse from the top of the hill. He's still in one piece anyway, phew!

Mirage Sat 22-Jun-13 20:16:20

You have my sympathy.It must be the wind,our two were being stupid today,even dpony who is never bothered by anything.Brandy was so silly that he bombed off with DD2 until she fell off.We have got his first show tomorrow,am slightly worried.hmm

Pixel Sat 22-Jun-13 17:07:27

How people manage the stress of transporting their horses here there and everywhere is beyond me. Moved dhorse to another yard today for our summer hols, aka proper school, jumps and off-road hacking. The lady we buy hay from offered to take him in her trailer so that was ok. He walked in like a good boy despite the gales that are blowing here today but he arrived covered in sweat and seriously hyped up. As I led him round the back of the yard to somewhere I could tie him up he was almost lifting me off the ground and then he proceeded to spend the next half an hour neighing his head off, rearing, rolling on the ground (despite being tied up) and generally flinging himself around. We got him along to the paddock and gave him some hay in the hope he would calm down but had to leave him eventually. Am a bit worried as he still hadn't seen the sabretoothed tiger 'pet' sheep that was lurking in the bushes somewhere, crossing fingers he doesn't hurt himself when it does appear as the paddock is steep.

It all seemed such a good idea! Am secretly glad he now has a week quarantine so I don't have to get on him!

Would love to take him to some shows (am sure he is just as good as the cobs I saw at Hickstead yesterday except they were all obese wink) but can't really see it happening if he's going to get in that state. Wish I could afford my own trailer so I could get him used to it <checks lottery ticket. Weeps>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now