The horse i have had for just over 2 years. I bought her from a friend, who bought her, had her for 4 weeks and then got thrown off and became scared of her. I am more confidant, liked the horse, so decided to help friend out by buying her (old owner would not have her back!!)
She has been hard work to say the least, but very rewarding too. Suspect that she had been mistreated in the past, but has come to trust me, been completely re-schooled and was going nicely. Did a sponsored ride and a small show at the end of last summer, plan was some dressage and to hire a x country course and start taking her out more this year
I have unexpectedly fallen pg with what will be my sixth dc. It was a shock, but we are v. happy.
dhorse, who is 8, is now wasted in the field getting v. fat, and just being lunged 2 or 3 times a week.
Have also just found out that the farmer who usually supplies me with cheap but very good hay is not making any this year, so will have to buy that in over the winter (more £££ )
and when I actually have the baby, dd can manage the ponies fine for a few days (she's 13) but not dhorse really (well she would probably be fine, but i think it's too much to ask of her)
should I sell d horse?
Although she is lovely, she is hard work and I know i won't have much time for a couple of years..... she is being wasted...... if i sold her i would only need to buy half as much hay...... and when the baby is here will be able to do the ponies in half the time all 3 would take.....
i don't think i would loan her........ I wouldn't want to send her off with someone, and then get her back unexpectedly if they had problems. Plus loaning has always scared me a bit - I'm a bit of a control freak and don't like the idea of someone else looking after something of mine.
It's either sell or keep!
And had considered putting her in foal.....
but cost is a factor, and then i don't know what i would put on her. She is 7/8 ID and quite heavy, and 1/8 TB - and she really doesn't need any more TB silliness in there!
Sell her. She is 8 which is a good age to sell, it's the summer which is a good time to sell and presumably she is still fit and sort of in work which will be more appealing to buyers than a horse that has been sat in a field for a couple of years.
I wouldn't consider breeding from a mare just because you didn't have time for her. You would merely end up with twice the problem down the line.
I agree with selling. Though no guarantee shell go to someone suitable or experienced. Or that she will not become a problem horse again. Or whatever. But you have no guarantees on anything I'm afraid!! From what you've said though, she's fairly high maintenance, you'll be paying out money and not getting the benefit. So it makes financial sense to sell her.
I agree with Booboostoo and Horseylady. Save all the money you would have spent on her for the next year or 2, and then buy yourself a proper easy mother's horse you can whizz around and have fun on with your kids in a couple of years! (I can vouch for the benefits of this option )