Mongolian horses - trotting question

(8 Posts)
kelpeed Sat 11-May-13 02:37:29

dear horsey people on mumsnet

This is a Mongolian horses question. I've been lucky to have been invited on a 6 day expedition in Mongolia.

All the horses seem to have a very short stride when "trotting" - it seems more like a running walk. The local herdsmen, having spent most of their lives on the saddle, just let themselves bump up and down, rather than rising into a trot. I am not any sort of horse expert, but used to ride, under instruction, my friend's stockhorses many many years ago, and we used to trot and canter about ok.

Any thoughts on how to get the best from these horses, without hurting them?

the local herdsmen are excellent horseriders and handlers btw, but the language barrier is a challenge and they techncially are not there to teach. There will be a guide (who will also be an expert horserider) but they say just let yourself bounce in the trot like the locals do.

Please feel free to offer other comments about these horses.

DolomitesDonkey Sat 11-May-13 06:44:23

Sounds like a "tolt". When I've ridden trotters/pacers I've sort of wiggled my hips, got used to it surprisingly quickly. Feels like your chair is sliding. grin

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 11-May-13 07:09:50

You need to practice your sitting trot! grin

kelpeed Sat 11-May-13 09:03:36

thanks!

i just googled tolts (shows i little I know blush) . there are plenty of gaits!

i dimly recall that for the sitting trot i tended to just clam up as a reflex, legs, hips, back, everything.

<very worried my clamming up will hurt the horse over the long distance>

Pixel Sat 11-May-13 19:02:42

Perhaps this will help?

Butkin Sat 11-May-13 22:19:26

There was a terrific programme on Horse and Country TV this spring called Ride Across the Desert - about the Mongol Derby (which lasts about 8 days). Amazing programme and really showed up how to get the best out of these ponies which aren't always as trained as you'd like.

Here is a link that is definitely worth watching - www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK3SpdIXvD4

Perihelion Tue 14-May-13 09:33:09

Used to ride Icelandic horses.Tolt is/should be incredibly smooth and very easy to ride. Sit deep and slightly back in the saddle. With trotting I would sit but have a lot of my weight in the stirrups rather than my bum, if trotting for an extended period.
Get as much time in the saddle and get as fit as you can before you go. Enjoy smile

kelpeed Sat 18-May-13 02:34:39

thnx for the links- that journey across Mongolia sounded awesome.

Perihelion - when you put your weight in the stirrups, how did the rest of your body react - how did you stop yourself going going all rigid?

i have a week off this week. yay! now to organise some lessons (if i can stop lurking on MN). and get fit and loose 10kg. and get a haircut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now