Am I too old to learn how to ride.

(18 Posts)
wreckitralph Mon 29-Apr-13 02:14:37

I love horses, however I was not lucky enough to have lessons as a child. We are just about to move to the country and every house I've looked at has a paddock in the back and I'm constantly asked if I ride and have horses. This has made me feel a bit down that I never got to learn how to ride.

So, how old is too old to learn. I am 43, albeit a very fit 43 year old.

Thumbwitch Mon 29-Apr-13 02:15:56

No you're not. My first boyfriend's Dad was older than you when he learnt to ride, as was his girlfriend. You would be well advised to get a back protector though as you're not as "bouncy" now as you would have been when you were younger wink

fortyplus Mon 29-Apr-13 02:48:15

Just make sure that you stick to a lovely sensible cob smile Too many people are tempted to get fancy warm blood horses when they don't have enough experience.

We don't bounce as well as we used to! I'm 52 and regularly ride my sister in law's 17hh Dutch warblood because her instructor refuses to

Lovesswimming Mon 29-Apr-13 10:51:10

of course you're not smile, advise as above and get a good body protector (I have a racesafe and an air jacket just because the thought of coming of hurts grin , decent boots as my ankles can hurt, and someone to massage your legs after your first few rides! shock

kittykarate Mon 29-Apr-13 12:24:02

My mam started learning to ride at age 50. She's a braver rider than me by far, as she will do jumping and I won't.

Find a good local riding school and get some lessons - even if you don't continue, at least you've tried.

carabos Mon 29-Apr-13 16:34:40

You're not too old to learn, but you're probably too old to become really good at it - that applies to anything that any of us takes up as an adult. It takes 10 000 hours of practice to become good at something and with the best will in the world, it's a bit unlikely that you're going to put that much effort in.

However, if you take to it, you will get a huge amount of pleasure from riding - as much from the relationship with the horse as the physical and mental exercise. Don't rush to buy a horse though - get plenty of lessons before you take a decision that will massively impact your family life and budgetwink.

superfluouscurves Mon 29-Apr-13 17:09:32

Go for it wreckitralph!

mrslaughan Mon 29-Apr-13 17:22:35

Definately not too old, I am early 40's and have ridden abit on and off in my adult life. Have always loved it.
Know have a horse share 3 days a week and it is amazingly social.

Not all riding schools are alike however, and even on the weekend I heard some terrible story about a local riding school that very nearly put a learner rider completely off..... So maybe ask on here for recommendations.

Littlebigbum Mon 29-Apr-13 18:19:05

I'm going with 73 is to old to learn to ride, unless you are are a very fit 74 year old. LOl I think never!

wreckitralph Tue 30-Apr-13 08:43:29

Thanks so much, you have all made me feel so great wink. I think I am going to take along my boys for some lessons and whilst there, enquire for myself.

mrslaughan Tue 30-Apr-13 09:43:04

Oh yes - get your boys into riding, my son loves it, and not enough boys are introduced to it in my opinion

QuietTiger Tue 30-Apr-13 10:29:37

My mum learned to ride aged 45, and at 63, she's just bought her first horse! My dad decided to learn to ride last year to keep her company when she hacks out... he's 67!

You are never too old. smile

Backinthebox Tue 30-Apr-13 11:20:01

I've been hunting this year with several people who have learnt to ride in their late 40s and 50s. One of them was happy to walk around with his mate on a steady horse at the back, the other was galloping up at the front telling me he took up horse riding when he realised he couldn't compete so well at running any more. He was in his 60s, been riding for 7 years and was winning one day events!

Give it a go. I would!

VicarInaTutu Fri 03-May-13 00:01:48

i started last year at age 40. im a bit useless but i manage ok and am looking to get my own pony this year.

i love it.

I've got three things to say to you:
1. Definitely not too old. Find a nice riding school and you'll soon be loving it.
2. I am insanely jealous at 'every house I've looked at has a paddock in the back'. envy
3. If you don't want to pursue riding yourself, you could consider getting pony for your boys. You'll get loads of pleasure out of that yourself too, especially if it's kept so handy to the house.

Enjoy your move to the country! You'll love it. smile

lovebeansontoast Sat 04-May-13 19:12:49

Of course you're not too old. Like you I loved horses as a child, then did very little with them until my children were old enough. Long story short? I bought my first horse age 40. I'm now mid fifties and still owning horses and loving it. I may never be particularly good at it, but love a nice hack out on my lovely welshie. Go for it wreckitralph. You will have a lot of fun, and a smaller bank balance. smile

emlu67 Sat 04-May-13 20:47:38

I agree with everyone else, you are not too old and if you can get your boys riding too even better! You will love it!

DolomitesDonkey Tue 07-May-13 19:03:44

Given that someone has just won badminton and he didn't learn to ride until he was 18 - I think this disqualifies any need to learn as a child. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now