ah. DD wants to learn how to ride. where on earth do I start?

(38 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Sun 07-Apr-13 19:49:33

She's 15 and has aspergers. She's been doing a one day a week course at local race-horse rescue (a wonderful, lovely place).

Anyway. We are not a horsey family. All I know of horses comes from Jilly Cooper. I have no idea where to start. From what google tells me there is a stable who does lessons about 20 minutes away. Do I just ring them?

How much do lessons cist?
Does she need a hat and jhodpurs?

We're in north wilts if anyone has any advice.

thanks

Equimum Mon 08-Apr-13 12:53:45

It might also be worth looking at second hand sites for boots, jods etc...kids grow out of things so quickly that you can often find virtually brand new riding attire for a fraction of the price.

mrslaughan Mon 08-Apr-13 14:55:14

EBay is great for second hand riding gear for kids , jodhpurs boots and jodhpurs. I think kids that are learning are better off on short jodhpur boots rather than long riding boots.
Just don't buy second Hand hats.

Pixel Mon 08-Apr-13 19:29:52

I've just been out today and bought ds new jodhpur boots as he'd outgrown his others. I've got him ones with zips down the fronts this time as the elasticated ones are fiendishly difficult to get on a child with stiff ankles and a tendency to curl up his toes! I'm not sure how your dd's disablility affects her but this might be worth bearing in mind. I've put off getting them before because I'm a cheapskate they are a bit more expensive but I've decided it's worth it. Hopefully he might be able to put them on by himself.
I haven't even bothered trying to get him into long rubber boots as wellies are enough of a trial. He does have some half chaps to stop his legs being rubbed but wearing knee length socks will do just as well really.

50BalesOfHay Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:59

Unless a child (or an adult for that matter) is experienced, capable, and subtle with their legs they should be in jodphur boots. Otherwise they will do nasty flappy kicking in long boots. Especially those awful long rubber ones. Jodphur boots till that can go from halt to canter without visible leg aid is my rule for graduating to long leather boots. Muckers etc are the enemy of accurate leg aids.

Galena Tue 09-Apr-13 08:23:42

Are these ok? They seem a really good price. DD is a child size 7 at the moment, so I could get the 8s and give her thick socks for now?

I think zip ones are going to be a good idea, Pixel, because DD's ankles are very flexible and trying to get feet in boots can be a nightmare!

Pixel Tue 09-Apr-13 13:35:13

They look smart, and a good price! Actually I'm a bit envy cos I just paid £36 for ds's! (and I thought I was getting a bargain as that was with a voucher too). He's just been to the hospital about problems with his feet so I wanted him to be able to try them on before buying. Among other things he's inherited my very awkward wide feet and high arches so we ended up visiting several shops before we found a pair that would go on him. I'm the same, can't even order a pair of wellies online and expect them to fit. Oh well, I can always sell them on ebay when he outgrows them in about 2 months probably smile.

Pixel Tue 09-Apr-13 13:37:51

Sorry meant to say, yes to thick socks, especially at the moment. Feet tend to get very cold when riding and you don't notice until you get off and go "ouch ouch" as you hit the ground! If the weather should by some miracle warm up you could get some insoles instead.

Butkin Tue 09-Apr-13 13:53:59

Put in Jodphur boots into Ebay and you'll see them - narrow and smooth soled ideal for riding. They aren't expensive at all - you can get perfectly good ones for less than 20 pounds new on Ebay.

Much better for riding than other sorts of boots. However they are short so eventually you may need to buy some half chaps (like leather or suede gaiters than come below the knee) to go with them to offer your DD some lower leg protection. Alternatively she could wear riding socks which are thickish ones that come below the knee and are grippy in the right places. Again not expensive.

Butkin Tue 09-Apr-13 13:55:34

Yes Equestrian Clearance have a very good name and those ones would be ideal...

Galena Tue 09-Apr-13 14:05:24

Great, thanks! Will wait till she's had her trial on Thursday and if she likes it, I think I might get her a pair...

I bought ds's jodhpurs boots for £5 second hand from eBay. They're as good as new as only worn for lessons and as he's only 3 I'd rather not pay a fortune as he'll grow quickly. Got them a size too big too and he wears 2 pairs of socks. Same for his jodhpurs but the were only £3.95. Bargain!

Galena Fri 12-Apr-13 13:56:31

DD LOVED it! smile Going to get her some jodhpur boots smile

Butkin Fri 12-Apr-13 14:11:43

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now