Could I ask a question about the going rate for grazing?

(12 Posts)
Eve Sat 30-Mar-13 17:15:46

Poo should get picked up from the field every day and gotten rid of. Will destroy the grass if not & they produce a surprisingly large amount of the stuff!

Usually you need to find a local farmer to be paid to take it away. We pay £40 for famer to take away a large trailer load every couple of months.

Thanks again, she has two ponies. It is post and rail for most of it, but low. What should happen with the poo?!

Eve Thu 28-Mar-13 11:00:58

Def no more than 2 horses, maybe 3 small ponies at a push.

Butkin Thu 28-Mar-13 06:37:16

We pay 450 a quarter (so roughly 34 pounds a week) for nearly 8 acres. These are fenced into two big fields. The "Summer" field has self filling water trough and three huge Oak trees. The Winter field has high hedges all round and a stream although we take water up as required.

We have 4 ponies in this amount of land. It is all post and rail fencing and we provide our own electric fencing to strip graze. The farmer trims the hedges and fertilises / rolls (basic fertiliser) every Spring in the price.

snowpo Wed 27-Mar-13 21:23:12

I'm in Surrey, basic field with just water probably £20-25 per week per horse. Make sure you find out what they're going to do with all the poo!

Post and rail or wire fencing? 2-3 acres is only really good for a couple of big horses to live in permanently. How many does she have?
Im in Colchester. Am I near you? <<nosey>>

It's fenced but I think would need an electric fence too. I know nothing so can't help though happy to learn! In south-east, village, about 2, maybe 3 acres? Thank you!

That sounds about right to me. How big is the field?

Eve Wed 27-Mar-13 20:44:35

How is it fenced? Where in the country are you? What's hacking like? Other facilities nearby?

Who will maintain field, poo pick etc.

All determines price...

Where I am, about 100-125 a month for a couple of acres.

Oh thank you. I'm not sure there's any natural shelter- there are some trees I guess! I don't know anything about horses, I'm reading stuff here to learn!

QuietTiger Wed 27-Mar-13 19:03:39

We charge £15/week for grass livery. That's your horse in a field + a self filling water trough. No field shelter, just lots of "natural" shelter. HTH.

I hope this is ok- I don't have a horse! But I have a field, water, no stable or shelter, and I have met someone with horses- what's the going rate to charge for grazing? Thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now