Insulted my horse - want to rant

(35 Posts)
carabos Tue 05-Mar-13 12:15:50

There's a young woman who is a client at the same yard as me. She has a horse which has been off for 6 months with a serious tendon injury. Prior to the injury she was struggling to make any progress with it - prelim dressage level- as it is nappy, far too big for her, over fed and under-worked.

At the weekend she was passing the time of day while I tacked up my Prix St George horse for my lesson. She said that she was fed up with not riding and was looking for an all-rounder "like yours" to "just have a bit of fun on". She asked about mine - age, breeding etc and even though I explained that he is competing at FEI level and may do a Grand Prix later this year (with his professional rider my DH), she still said "something cheap and cheerful like that would suit me perfectly for the moment" shock.

My much admired horse was bred by me, from a mare owned by me, trained and competed by my husband and is currently worth about £40k.

Insult me, insult my kids, but don't insult my horse wink.

And breathe...

DameFanny Tue 05-Mar-13 21:15:40

shock I had no idea you could get a horse to skip.

And now I have no idea how I got in here <blunders out sneezing at hay>

QuietTiger Wed 06-Mar-13 14:57:25

Tell you what Carabos, it is rare to see a horse that relaxed and happy in his work. He's beautiful. smile

Ullena Wed 06-Mar-13 15:35:03

Perhaps she meant cheap and cheerful as in your horse looks easy to enjoy and is clearly a pleasure for you to ride? As opposed to generally scaring the crap out of its rider and currently off work due to an expensive injury!

Poor girl, lacking direction, druggy parents, sick horse that is already too much for her to handle, and awkward social graces sad Hope she grows into herself, and gets something she is confident on once her current horse has recovered. Also hope she doesn't end up following her parents on the drug front.

miggy Wed 06-Mar-13 20:45:41

That's actually so stupid it's funny, talk about make yourself look stupid!

My do not insult list runs horses then dogs then kids, they can say what they like about the cats smile

Backinthebox Thu 07-Mar-13 15:21:10

I used to have my county level show hunter at a dressage yard, and had to suffer plenty of ignorant comments about how showing is just a 'shiny pony contest' but doesn't require the same amount of hard work as dressage really. My horse was described as a handsome but plain chap, who was obviously not capable of learning the same kind of stuff their warmbloods were.

Then I got pregnant and asked the girls at the yard to help me out a bit.

The first thing that happened was that the one who rode him for me at shows realised getting a 17.3hh independently-minded monster with a huge sense of humour to perform in a ring of 18 horses at places like Windsor and Royal Berks shows is not as straight forwards as it looks. A massive amount of work has to go in behind the scenes before your horse is ready to be ridden by 'any old judge' in potential explosive situations. (Galloping in company past the yappy dog agility ring, anyone? grin Or how about trying to get them to not spook as they go past the end of the ring by the fairground. And my personal favourite - not tearing off in complete terror when the man with his display of honking geese that follow his microlight did a low fly-past!)

The next thing that happened was that they all had a little go at home in the school, and realised that he was a particularly well schooled and comfortable horse, just not educated in any movements that one might need beyond Novice dressage tests. They all wanted to ride him. I was paying for him to be ridden 3 times a week, but he was being ridden every day, sometimes twice. I had to ask for them to calm down a bit! They discovered he learnt very easily, and soon had him doing flying changes and canter pirouettes. They taught him about dressage and he taught them about jumping.

The general attitude was that they had no idea, until they rode him themselves. I think ignorance is very often the main cause of insults. I wouldn't sweat it over an idiotic statement from someone who clearly hasn't a clue about your horse, or by the sounds of it, any horse.

Stinkyminkymoo Sat 23-Mar-13 14:13:58

Carabos, just wanted to say, aside from the fact your horse is clearly gorgeous, how lovely it is to see an expensive dressage horse out having fun. I see in your videos that he goes out for a gallop lucky having a good gallopy field! as it seems to be a rare thing these days.

grin

carabos Sat 23-Mar-13 19:57:26

stinky he's three quarter TB and we bred him to event, which he did successfully as a novice until he broke a leg in competition. We love to take him for a fast spin, he loves to do it and he needs to be fit to do advanced dressage, so it's all good wink.

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 26-Mar-13 07:27:19

I just think it is so refreshing. I know Carl Hester has all his out at grass and hacks them out, but there's a dressage rider near me whose horses stables face inwards to an indoor school and they literally go from stable to school to stable and only get an hour in the field where they are so wrapped up they can barely move. That's no life for a horse.

Clearly the woman at your yard is cuckoo, but it's good for a laugh!! wink

gallifrey Tue 26-Mar-13 11:59:21

what a silly cow! She obviously doesn't have a clue!

A stupid bloke at my old yard said to me that I was so lucky to have bought such a well schooled horse and I only have to sit there and he does everything!

I was very pleased to tell him that I had owned my horse since he was a yearling and had backed and brought him on myself and he was working at medium level as a 6 yr old!

seeker Tue 26-Mar-13 12:03:06

There's a man at our yard who insists on referring to dd's lovely pony as "the nutter" or "the head case" because she gets incredibly distressed if she's put in a box for more than 10 minutes, and he once saw her shouting and weaving because she was unavoidably left in for a bit too long. She absolutely lovely in all other respects....We hate him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now