Does size matter?

(26 Posts)
N0tinmylife Thu 28-Feb-13 13:50:17

Minds out of the gutter please, I am talking about horses! grin

As I may have mentioned before, (sorry to go on about it!) I am back on the hunt for a horse on loan. I am only 5 foot 3, and 9 st 7lb ish, so I had thought of getting something around 15 2hh. The trouble is every horse I have seen advertised seems to be 16 2 hh or more.

I have recently been riding a 17 hh horse, and although from the ground he looks ridiculously big, once on board his size doesn't really seem to be an issue. I was wondering what people think is an acceptable size horse to rider, or does it actually not matter? Thanks.

dappleton Sun 03-Mar-13 16:20:01

I think someone else has said this but IMO it's also important to consider girth size and to some extent length of back and neck, as well as height. I'm a little bit smaller than you but feel very happy on my 14.1hh light-weight cob and equally on my small-boned 16hh TB. Pony has a lot of neck in front of him and a good bit of belly to get my leg around. For his size, horse has a shortish back and neck and not too much 'girth'. I do regularly ride a 17hh horse but don't get out of him what others can, just don't have the leg for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now