hapless hacking and Actual Riding log

(366 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Thu 14-Feb-13 09:29:28

is the riding log full now? Haven't seen it for ages.

Anyway we (well, me and the horse) are back in very light work at last, 2013 can finally begin!

What are your goals?

Mirage Sat 04-Jan-14 20:34:32

Thanks for telling me about that app,it sounds right up my street.I must have walked about 30 miles with the ponies over the holiday.I agree with you about plaiting and never do it,hence the hairy golf balls.I only did it because the DC said they had to be plaited and correct hunting dress.I was most put out to get there and find a lot of unplaited ponies with riders wearing bomber jackets.hmm

I was heartened to see it wasn't quite dark at 4.30 tonight,especially as our brook has broken its banks and the stupid sheep had marooned themselves on an island.The water was rising too fast to go and get a torch or the dogs so I had to wade over and herd them off before it got too deep.Gah!

Mitchy1nge Mon 06-Jan-14 23:16:23

oh hooray for the lengthening day

I can't have that pony at our current yard, there's nowhere for a mare who lives out 24/7 and although I have an empty stable I don't think she's ever lived in and I can't face the extra work blush

am thinking of looking for a share for my daughter at a riding school or anywhere that does full livery, it would be a small pain to have two yards to visit but one or twice a week shouldn't kill us

generally though am a bit 'do I even like horses?' but I know this is a winter feeling

Mitchy1nge Mon 06-Jan-14 23:18:55

in fact just thinking about the horses and how muddy and 'hungry'* they are makes me feel really tired and guilty confused

* they have not actually lost any weight, they just think they are starving

Pixel Tue 07-Jan-14 00:44:11

Oh I know what you mean. What with sinusitis, wind, torrential rain and mud it's all I can do to drag myself along to the field. I'm feeding a friend's two as well in the mornings and the mud in her field is treacherous (worse than ours, she is further down the hill) and her big one is a flighty beast. It's all very traumatic. The idea of actually riding seems as strange and distant as a trip to the moon!

And how come they do twice as much poo in the winter?

A loan at another yard or school with livery sounds like a good idea. Ds has been having lessons at 'posh yard with school' instead of borrowing friend's pony at our mudpit field, and it's so nice to just turn up to a groomed and tacked up pony, then buzz off and leave it when he's finished blush.

Mitchy1nge Tue 07-Jan-14 08:24:20

Pixel that's such a good idea, I'll see if she wants a lesson somewhere every now and then. You're a genius. Hope the sinusitis gets better soon!

Branunion Tue 07-Jan-14 16:21:08

I am not plaiting dcob x ever again for hunting, he just looked silly. Someone told me that if they are hunter clipped they should be plaited, so I did it. He looked terribly nouveau riche. Much more stylish wit his silly bushy mane grin

Mitchy1nge Tue 07-Jan-14 22:01:15

hunting envy

but was v content to have looooong snog and cuddle at the haylage rack this evening, it was mild and old horse just leaned comfortably into me while he munched

glad he is never going to die, ever, or get any older. I wouldn't cope.

Had to share this piece of news as I'm so thrilled (and my rl friend who would also be thrilled is sadly dealing with a sick horse so I don't think my joy would be much appreciated!)

The physio has just been out to check dhorse three months after hher last visit and has effectively said that she doesn't need to see him again. She's pleased with his overall shape and muscle tone and says that he is a different horse from the summer and obviously much happier in himself. He is showing no discomfort where he previously was and I've been advised to get his saddle re-fitted as his shape has changed so much - already in hand - but apart from that she is happy not to come back.

I've already decided that I'll have her a couple of times a year just to keep me happy and make sure that things are still going right, but to "signed off" from the doctor is just great!

Mitchy1nge Wed 08-Jan-14 16:55:48

fantastic smile how lovely to read such great news! so pleased for you flowers

Pixel Wed 08-Jan-14 17:27:15

Great start to 2014 for you and your boy, nice to hear cheery news amongst the wet Jan gloom smile.

Mirage Wed 08-Jan-14 19:02:51

Brilliant news! smile

Thank you, it's such a relief (as you can see I was so excited there were several typos in my post!). Trying to get a recent photo up.

Mitchy1nge Thu 09-Jan-14 10:34:09

no new photos visible yet - in case you were wondering grin

I know, it won't let me for some reason so have sent it to HQ in the hope they will put it up.

Have pm'd you Mitchy - can't get it to upload photos atm. If anyone else wants to see lots of lovely pictures (not just dhorse) - then let me know and I'll give you website details.

Mitchy1nge Thu 09-Jan-14 18:01:42

wow - at your horse and the photos generally

breathtaking!

You're very kind, thank you. DH's photos - a major hobby, but he's started selling a few which is satisfying!

Mitchy1nge Thu 09-Jan-14 18:31:43

is it ok to send my daughter a link? keen photographer too with an inevitable interest in equine subjects!

Yes of course - hope she likes it. Dh loves people looking at them.....

Mitchy1nge Thu 09-Jan-14 19:01:42

smile I wish I hadn't, she wants to know what sort of cameras and lenses and stuff hmm

Mitchy1nge Mon 27-Jan-14 17:52:57

ah the PLEASURE of riding lessons where you show up to find a freshly groomed, ready tacked pony and can fuck straight off without doing any STUFF

why didn't I know how much that suited me before I bought my own?

Pixel Mon 27-Jan-14 19:05:39

I guess that was a success then smile.

I know exactly what you mean. I've always felt lucky to have our gees and never minded going out in any weather, but just lately I'm questioning my sanity! I suppose paying for a lesson somewhere else is a little taste of what full livery or employing a trusty groom is like. I reckon I'd swan about in clean white breeches all the time just because I could grin.

Mitchy1nge Tue 28-Jan-14 13:28:41

would be very happy with a team of grooms groom of my own, 'fetch me my horse', that sort of thing [wistful]

Slightly scary moment for me out hunting yesterday, in fact I was absolutely terrified. We were riding through a path in a wood and going round a fallen tree. Unfortunately somehow a bit of the tree hooked into my stirrup and pulled my leg backwards - I couldn't stop dhorse and was frantically trying to get my other leg out of the stirrup and get off but couldn't. I really thought my leg was going to be broken, but luckily the stirrup and leather came off the saddle and I hit the deck.

After quite a long time moaning and thinking I was either going to pass out or be sick I managed to hobble up to a hastily summoned quad bike and get back on dhorse - ironically getting back on seemed a far safer way to get home than on the back of the bike!

A&E have said no bones are broken, it's effectively a bad sprain with some soft tissue and nerve damage (permanent pins & needles at the moment), which should ease in a few weeks. Although I'm full of painkillers and it hurts like hell I count myself very lucky that it wasn't a whole lot worse. The lady behind me said that she was convinced I'd broken a leg and that it was one of the most frightening things she's seen. I do keep having mild "flashbacks", but hopefully in a day or two that will go.

DH is being a wonder and helped with (did most of) the mucking out - (I've turned the horses out for a few days now), drove me to hospital, cooked Sunday lunch and is now lining things up (book, newspaper, coffee & laptop) for me in front of the TV, he's a star! I'll have to think of a present when I'm up and around again.

Thank god my stirrup leather came off - god knows where I'd be if it hadn't!

Mirage Sun 23-Feb-14 19:31:55

Ouch frosty what a terrifying experience.I hope your leg heals quickly.sad

DD2 was meant to go hunting on Friday,but plans changed so we didn't make it.But we met up with them several miles from home and DD1 was invited to hack back home with them,which made up for missing out on galloping and jumping.She rode back with the chap who lays the trails,he rides a black stallion and was listed as one of H&H's most eligable bachelors,I think DD has a bit of a crush on him wink. Dpony was admired by the secretary who was asking about her for his grand daughter,I told him she's going nowhere.grin Bless her,she is such a good pony and every time she goes out,someone wants her.

I couldn't keep up with DD1,so met her back home,by which time she had untacked and rugged dpony,got her back in her field and was mixing their teas.It was almost like having a groom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now