Polite hi viz range - to be withdrawn, disappointing.

(12 Posts)
Stinkyminkymoo Tue 12-Feb-13 22:39:56

Just popped on the v-bandz website to see that the Polite Notice range is being withdrawn:
"NEWS - Chequered Range UPDATE

Thursday 7th Feb 2013

We have received updated guidelines nationally from the Police on the styling of the high viz products which Police Forces use. As a result of these clarifications we have decided to withdraw the entire chequered range from sale as we do not want to put our customers in a potential conflict situation with their local Police Force. We understand the Police will be making these guidelines public to riders via press releases in equine magazines. We are sorry if this causes you inconvenience and will do our best to help.

For our customers who have bought these kind of products from us - Please do follow the link below for more information and ways that we can help you. What we do not want is for you to go out not wearing anything high vis but we want you to understand and manage the guidelines. - some of our products are in the "high risk" category.

As a good will gesture so that you do not have to discard items or purchase brand new items again- we are looking at swapping our “PLEASE” waistcoats and amending equine products for you. Please click here for more updated information and ways in which we can help you stay compliant. "

I feel quite disappointed as I hack a lot on the roads (in the summer would be out for 4+ hours, a large majority of which was roadwork) and felt that this made people really think when driving past and slow down. On our short little round the block route I just stick to my bright pink hv jacket, but this makes such a difference on busier roads.

I appreciate that it is pretty close to the bone when it comes to impersonating a police officer, but if people are driving so fast they can't see the difference between Polite & Police is that my problem?

I will continue to wear mine when going out on long hacks until I get forced to stop I'm afraid. I've had too many near misses to give it up.

I think its disgusting the police would want this product withdrawn! The difference it makes to the speed cars drive is emmence & quite frankly if you're not paying enough attention to see they say polite not police you shouldn't be driving at all!

I honestly think these items save lives!

SaggyOldClothCatpuss Tue 12-Feb-13 23:23:04

Bad call. sad

QuietTiger Wed 13-Feb-13 08:30:12

I think I am going to do the same Stinkyminkymoo. I've found that drivers are a lot more respectful of me and my horse when I'm wearing the POLITE stuff.

And to be honest, if the police try to argue that my fat, hairy, muddy gyspy cob waddling along, is anything like a police horse, then they need to go to spec-savers!

horseylady Wed 13-Feb-13 08:47:24

Seeing as the police don't worry about riders going on pavements/motorcycles on bridlepaths etc I can't see them policing anyone wearing one of these vests. They can target the Manufacturer not the riders.

jhfkshfks Wed 13-Feb-13 15:02:45

That's such a shame - it works to slow people down round here. I'll keep wearing mine - maybe I can be a test case if they decide to prosecute!

Millie2013 Wed 13-Feb-13 16:36:51

There's an e-petition about it

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/45785

Pixel Wed 13-Feb-13 17:11:01

And to be honest, if the police try to argue that my fat, hairy, muddy gyspy cob waddling along, is anything like a police horse, then they need to go to spec-savers!
That's exactly what I was saying to someone today! Very few of the riders wearing them will be on anything that remotely resembles a police horse. I wish ds was still small enough to ride dshetland, I'd like them to try and argue that he was 'impersonating a police officer'.
Thing is, the tabards don't actually say 'police' and the police don't own the chequered pattern do they? so how can there be anything illegal about them? If drivers can't see what they actually say on them then I question their ability to read road signs safely and whether they should be driving at all.

Grunzlewheek Fri 15-Feb-13 17:57:23

Did anyone see the thread on one of the petrol head forums about these ? The hatred and venom towards horse riders from the drivers was frightening sad

QuietTiger Fri 15-Feb-13 18:53:00

I've been in situations where I've had drivers deliberately speed up to spook my horse, driven past at stupid speeds, scream abuse at me for being on the road, driven too close, honked their horns, thrown soft drinks cans at me... I could go on.

I've VERY lucky that my horses are quite literally "bombproof", they are used to heavy machinery, tractors, lorries, and (the many - majority) considerate car drivers, but even they can spook at idiots (and do). If "petrol heads" are uppity about me wearing reflective gear that resembles police uniform because they get confused (poor dears), well quite frankly they can sod off. If they hit me, it's likely that I or my horse will die. They can fix their car.

Pixel Sat 16-Feb-13 00:18:30

So they aren't selling them any more but there isn't a 'recall' or anything?
I suppose that means that anyone who already has a tabard (not me but I know a couple of people who do) can just carry on wearing it and claim ignorance if challenged. After all they bought it perfectly legally in good faith.

Startail Sat 16-Feb-13 00:25:50

I can see why the police might not like those, I'm dyslexic and would quite likely miss read it.

However, if it's the only HI Vis you have, don't stop wearing it!

Against our high leafless beach hedges chestnut horses are suprisingly hard to spot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now