Hunting for the first time, I'm terrified

(404 Posts)
FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 18:14:13

Am hunting on Monday it.l be the 4th time I've ridden the horse though he has hunted, I've popped over some small jumps in the school but I've never ever jumped a hedge, will I have to jump? if I don't jump am I likely to be left behind massively that's something he really doesn't like. I don't mind popping over small stuff but not huge hedges etc.

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:47

Oh that is all purely academic by the way. Hunting in the uk should now all be purely within the law, as announced at all meets.

frustratedworkingmum Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:50

They still do that Beertricks? FFS thats disgusting, the terrier man is a breed of man that needs flushing out, vile vile vile.

I just don't understand it, maybe its my working class background but just get on the horse, go for a good blow out ride throuh the woods and fields, have a race if you want some excitement. There is no need for hunting with dogs, for fun or for "control" its inhumane and a bloody waste of time. Id rather count my feet.

usualsuspect Sat 26-Jan-13 21:45:38

So hunting a weak fox is ok then?

Repulsive.

I think you are right fallen I am a bit slow on the uptake tonight.

BinarySolo Sat 26-Jan-13 21:46:36

I'm so sick of hearing all the contradictory pro-hunt bulkshit.

"It controls the fox population"
"We hardly ever see a fox on the hunt"

Hmm, not very effective then is it? Yet you'll tell us next that a marksman will often miss and is not humane. hmm

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:47:37

Yes afaik the hunt will be within the law.

Headless that's reassuring, thanks.

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:49:28

Frustrated, the thing with hunting is it means you can ride through land you wouldn't usually be allowed to, that's what appeals to me.

I am absolutely not trolling, I've posted this in the tack room, not for debate but because I know there will be people who can offer advice.

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 21:50:29

All of those crap arguments were roundly defeated during the democratic process that led to fox-hunting being made illegal.

If your hunt is exploiting a loop-hole but will basically be hunting a fox, then you are in the wrong and you know it.

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:50:33

Usualsuspect- actually yes I believe that it is better for the fox population as a whole to be healthier and able to hunt wild prey. Rather than a large number of unhealthy foxes preying on domestic animals.

Better for the individual fox? If the other option is continuing to live in an ok way, then I agree. If the other option is a death by starvation, poison or injury not resulting in death from a gun then I disagree.

An accurate shot from a gun would be kinder, but this is not guaranteed- who is a perfect shot 100% of the time on a moving target? I am vegetarian, by the way! I have given this a lot of thought.

I'd also like to say that the old practice of digging out foxes that have gone to ground, I find thoroughly unpleasant. Firtunately I know no-one who does/did this.

BinarySolo Sat 26-Jan-13 21:51:59

Yes, fox hunts are notorious trespassers. I know several farmers that don't want the hunt on their land, but the hunt repeated go across it like the entitled wankers they are.

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:52:15

Greensleeves- the 'democratic process' that wasted 500 hours of parliamentary time debating foxhunting? While giving some piddly amount of hours to for more important issues? Hmm, sounds logical...

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:54:00

Beer tricks potter. I would say, honestly, that I've never seen anyone 'revelling'. I've seen people having a catch up with old friends, enjoying riding across land that is normally closed to the public, and having a great time jumping fences with their horse, but never anything as disgusting as the sentiments you suggest.

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:54:24

No, not at all, totally wrong!

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:55:21

Binarysolo- I am glad that my local hunt do nothing of the sort.

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 21:55:46

Yes, that's the one Jade, the democratic process that has always been regarded as a waste of time by people like you, but nonetheless had the authority to ban your backward behaviour. That democratic process.

Lots of hunts routinely break the law by simply lying about what they are doing. And being a pack of arrogant elitist inbred dimwits, they see no problem with this whatsoever.

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:58:28

If there was drag hunting in my area that's what I would choose over this

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 21:59:46

There's no Irish dancing teacher in my area. And until there is, I will carry on bear-baiting and blame someone else.

Come off it. Stop bleating. You know it's wrong. Even your family are against you.

BinarySolo Sat 26-Jan-13 22:00:06

I find the "I'm vegetarian" comment hilarious!

I think you believe what you're saying and probably have friend that hunt which muddies the waters, but I think you're extremely misinformed if you in anyway consider hunting with packs of dogs a humane option.

frustratedworkingmum Sat 26-Jan-13 22:00:13

If hunting was a working class persuit it would have been banned years ago along with badger baiting and cock-fighting. I absolutely believe this to be true.

BinarySolo Sat 26-Jan-13 22:02:28

Me too frustrated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now