Hunting for the first time, I'm terrified

(404 Posts)
FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 18:14:13

Am hunting on Monday it.l be the 4th time I've ridden the horse though he has hunted, I've popped over some small jumps in the school but I've never ever jumped a hedge, will I have to jump? if I don't jump am I likely to be left behind massively that's something he really doesn't like. I don't mind popping over small stuff but not huge hedges etc.

Fairylea Sat 26-Jan-13 18:15:53

I'm sure whatever you're hunting will have a fantastic time.

(Hides thread).

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 18:17:13

Are you in the UK? What are you hunting?

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 18:21:01

Yes am in the uk.

preggersshock Sat 26-Jan-13 19:41:00

What kind of hunt are you going on? (Depending on this depends on if you may have to jump or not)

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:47:12

You'll be fine. Assuming you are foxhunting (which will, of course, be done within the law as it currently stands) then when you get there and pay, introduce yourself and say it is your first time, and do they know anyone who might look after you. They will probably be really friendly and there are bound to be some others who won't jump or will only jump small fences. Have a fab time!

jade80 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:48:27

(P.S. I am assuming you are not drag hunting, although I haven't done this I think in some cases it is a much faster pace set over big fences.)

Good for you! Make sure you introduce yourself to the relevant people at the meet, and pay your cap (have you let them know you are coming?). People are usually very welcoming and happy to help - stick around the edge or back of the field, above everything make sure your horse doesn't kick people or hounds, say thank you to just about everyone you see, smile through the fear and have a wonderful time. There is usually a group of people don't jump so you won't have to if you don't want to. Depending on how fit your horse is, it may be best not to stay out too long - a couple of hours should do it for the first time.

Have a look at the hunting threads on the Horse and Hound Forum, there's a lot of useful info.

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:09:48

Thanks, yes I've been mooching around the H&H threads. It is fox hunting, I am going with one friend (hopefully lame horse ATM) who has hunted a lot but jumps and one who's never been but also jumps, I can jump but haven't really properly for years, it's the only thing worrying me really. I do know the MOH, from my yard though not terribly well.

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 21:12:27

How disgusting.

Nuttyfilly Sat 26-Jan-13 21:16:28

You'll be fine, a few folk dont jump generally. Kick on and have fun! Drag hunting is all go go, hunting as it is since the ban is very stop start whilst waiting for trails to be laid.

Moominsarehippos Sat 26-Jan-13 21:17:19

Thought it was banned. Cruelty and all that. I would also worry about the possibility of the horse getting injured.

saintmerryweather Sat 26-Jan-13 21:17:56

if i had a new horse that was a bit strong and id only ridden it 4 times i wouldnt take it hunting! youre a lot braver than me!

Greensleeves Sat 26-Jan-13 21:18:44

brave? lmao

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:19:45

Saint I'm beginning to wonder if it's just stupidity, he's ok to stop but does a bit of head tossing.

Moomin, horses can get injured on any ride.

saintmerryweather Sat 26-Jan-13 21:20:34

oh and foxy woxys arent hunted anymore they will have a runner laying trails for the hounds.

Eve Sat 26-Jan-13 21:20:48

You will be fine, have a full hip flask with you.

Which hunt? hounds or bloodhounds?

Most will have non jumping groups and the master will point out leader of these at the start.

Have a great time & don't forget cap.

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:21:47

Hounds I think eve confused

I expect the foxes will be feeling a little bit terrified too. hmm

Eve Sat 26-Jan-13 21:22:16

And maybe up the bit or ride in double reins just to ensure brakes.:-)

saintmerryweather Sat 26-Jan-13 21:22:23

a horse can break a leg in the field, not an excuse not to ride it. theres nothing wrong with taking a horse hunting, lots of event horses start their careers in the hunting field

FirstHunt Sat 26-Jan-13 21:25:28

He wears a 3 ring gag ATM and a martingale, it's on the second ring, I could move it onto the third? He came with a flash as well might it be worth putting it on? He's not worn it with me yet.

Moominsarehippos Sat 26-Jan-13 21:26:53

One of my sisters broke a leg standing in a field. One broke my leg whilst going demented in a forest (spooked by some arse on a horse who didn't have a clue what he was doing) when I was a kid and had I trouble controlling him. I don't like hunting. I'm a country girl, (farm girl) and see no need for it.

The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible.

Have a lovely time smile

You want sympathy and support for choosing to hunt an animal for fun?
How exactly will you be fox hunting within the constraints of the law? Another 'accidental' discovery? Our local hunt has lots of those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now