Anyone been to Hopeful Earl Riding Centre in Surrey?

(11 Posts)
FingoFango Wed 09-Jan-13 09:54:22

There's a Groupon offer on at the moment for this place.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this place?

loachey Wed 09-Jan-13 20:59:55

I've been. It was good. Decent horses and an excellent ride out. If i still lived in the area I would buy the group on again. :-)

loachey Wed 09-Jan-13 21:00:12

I've been. It was good. Decent horses and an excellent ride out. If i still lived in the area I would buy the group on again. :-)

loachey Wed 09-Jan-13 21:01:27

oops, stupid phone!

FingoFango Thu 10-Jan-13 07:41:58

Loachy thanks. Did it have good safety standards? Suitable for a novice?

loachey Thu 10-Jan-13 08:14:01

All their horses are TB ex racers so need confident riders so no I would say not suitable for novices. Good standards though otherwise.

FingoFango Thu 10-Jan-13 08:21:23

Thanks. Yes I was a bit unsure with all the horses being ex racers. I am not a complete beginner I can walk, trot, canter etc but would not describe myself as particularly confident either........can be a bit nervous! Maybe not for me then? (the offer is for lessons not hacking btw)

loachey Thu 10-Jan-13 11:28:23

Well - a lesson is a different matter all together. If you aren't a complete novice, I think you will be fine in a lesson. I rode Kanga - he was lovely. But they talk to you about the type of horse you want to ride. I told them I wanted something forward going (which I think they all are!) but is likely to keep all it's feet on the ground. They have a few that go a bit silly when about to canter and can jump around a bit - but again this is out hacking. I really liked it there.

Georgia1982 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:16:57

Oooooh maybe I will book then! If they have some well behaved TBs that's ok - rather a well behaved TB than a naughty cob!

HandbagAddiction Thu 10-Jan-13 21:00:48

I've ridden with them several times too. Out of hacks as well as refresher lessons as I had had at least a 15 year break. They do have some reasonable horses for lessons now - some of whom have done riding club stuff previously so are relatively well-schooled. I had one doing shoulder-in and half passes for example. It was 18 months since I was last there and since hen they've brought in even more new horses.

As a previous poster has said, they do really discuss your experience with you before allocating you a horse and lots of the horses who may go slightly nuts in canter out on a hack are thoroughly well behaved in the school.

I have ridden Seedy, King, Dotty, Mendel previously plus a couple more whose names I cannot remember now.

Good luck and hope you have fun.

loachey Fri 11-Jan-13 08:18:49

Go for it....and then when you have had a few lessons you can do a hack. Because the location was lovely for a good ride out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now