Cheap horses

(30 Posts)
Officedepot Thu 03-Jan-13 13:31:53

Always thought that the price of a horse would depend on following things:
- temperament / manners
- breeding (ie pay more if pure-bred / registered breed)
- competition potential
- any vices / illnesses etc

Anything else?

Have seen several ads on Preloved etc that seem very cheap, for example:

- 16hh 16 year old for £350 (apparently good and no vices),
- 5 year old 14.2hh cob £750 (again apparently good in every way and no vices)
- 10 year old 15hh (again apparently good and no vices) for £650 including tack.

The low prices make me suspicious that the horses actually have hidden vices etc. Can anyone think of a genuine explantion why people are selling horses so cheap? I know you might get the odd person who just needs a quick sale, but there seem to be loads of ads for cheap horses at the moment.

Seems odd that these horses are so cheap and if you buy a cob from a dealer like Safecobs you could pay £4,000 (although appreciate you are paying for the training and peace of mind there).

Anyone got any experience of buying a cheap horse, good or bad?

I'm not actually buying (well not yet!) just curious!

Twattybollocks Wed 09-Jan-13 20:01:44

Oh, and I've seen some cracking coloured ponies at the local gypsy camp, but also seen a fair amount of poor quality there too.

DolomitesDonkey Thu 10-Jan-13 04:49:27

Fango They were when we were children, fashions change! I saw a friend's hunting photo recently and the field was full of duns - perhaps they're on the rise again now?

Pixel Thu 10-Jan-13 16:47:34

I like duns. They don't show the dirt wink.

I paid £75 for the pony, she was wild off the hills, but 18 months later is a wonderfull little pc pony.
Most recently paid £200 for my ISH mare from the knackers yard, who was slightly short on the front and loopy to ride, changed her feed - got the back lady out & she's safe as houses and perfectly sound. If somewhat lacking brain cells.

MissBrown Sun 13-Jan-13 20:31:33

I paid £50 for my daughter's pony from the sales (black sec.B was colt). We bought him outside the ring as we the meat man was there that day. I just had a hunch about him. For the first month I couldn't get near him. He wasn't aggressive in any way just nervous. Moving on 2 months and a new yard with a regular routine he is a super star. He is only 2.5 yrs so not being broken yet but showing a lot of promise. My 7 yr old daughter leads him around like a dog on a lead. He has been seen by the vet and is sound. Everyone who meets him loves him as he is such a character. He follows people around like a puppy, he has been named 'the stalker' at the yard! So... you can get cheap ponies that are fine as we have found out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now