Any advice on getting a lazy pony going forward better?

(12 Posts)
bonzo77 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:46:35

Y y to no nagging. If she doesn't respond first time to the leg, quick crack behind your leg with a schooling whip. You can react faster with that than with a short stick that you have to take your hands off the reins to use. I quite like spurs, but only if you can be precise and clear with leg aids. Just little round ended POW ones.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Thu 03-Jan-13 20:41:10

A lot of different small variations to seat depth, shape and knee roll position can make a difference to your seat, tip you back or put you over their neck. You might not necessarily notice. Maybe try a different saddle and see if it makes a difference.

horseylady Thu 03-Jan-13 20:31:21

Def speak to the owner then!!

50BalesOfHay Thu 03-Jan-13 12:20:58

It will come then, maybe see if her owner will give you a lesson and share her tips?

Croccy1979 Thu 03-Jan-13 08:09:13

Thanks. Will give that a try. The pony is in her teenage years so pretty set in her ways but the owner can get her going quite well so I have seen that it can be done (just not by me at the moment!).

CatPuss not noticed anything unusual about saddle (just a regular GP saddle) but will check next time I go.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 02-Jan-13 22:00:16

Whats her saddle like? Does it sit you in a different position and put the brakes on?

horseylady Wed 02-Jan-13 20:08:26

Also lots and lots and lots of transitions, walk to canter, rein back to trot and canter etc. But start just doing walk to trot to canter etc. Mix it up. He'll start sitting underneath more and thus find the transitions easier!!

horseylady Wed 02-Jan-13 20:06:39

Ok a trick I was taught (which Carl Hester apparently uses!!) is to click quietly when you want to move up a pace and initially use tour leg. If the horse doesn't respond then back up with your whip quickly. Only use your leg once. Also you shouldn't keep nagging with your leg, ask then just leave the leg.

It's not an easy thing to do and you have to be consistent but when they get it, you should just be able to move up the transitions by barely using your leg, a light click and slight weight adjustment!!

Energy will come with correct working and fitness. Lunging might help. Again don't nag!!

Croccy1979 Wed 02-Jan-13 14:03:50

Probably a bit of both (!) but mainly more responsive as think that is more important to establish first. Let's take things one step at a time!

I'm going to buy a schooling whip today - never had one before as never needed one

horseylady Wed 02-Jan-13 13:43:46

Do you want more responsive or faster paced?

50BalesOfHay Wed 02-Jan-13 12:44:24

Could she be a bit dead to the leg? I'd do lots of pole work to get her picking her feet up and brighten her paces and ride lots of transitions, including walk to canter, to get her going directly and crisply off your leg. Carry a schooling whip, and use it if she doesn't respond to your leg on the second time of asking, rather than nagging with the leg.

The other thing is to make the school work very varied so her brain is engaged and it's fun, so think Pony Club games: cones to bend through, a small jump, a grid of poles etc. Also, maybe see if you can work with another horse and rider in the school and have some friendly competitions. Anything to keep her switched on to what you want her to do.

Croccy1979 Wed 02-Jan-13 11:45:54

My new loan pony is just what I was looking for to re-gain some confidence, super-steady and a really sweet pony.

She has a very good mixed workload (school work, hacking, pony club events with the owner's DD) although she seems to prefer hacking to school work.

The problem is she is very lazy in the school, and in particular difficult to get into canter. The horses I have ridden previously were all very forward going and I am not used to riding more lazy horses, so any tips on how to get her going forward better would be most appreciated.

I am planning on having some lessons on her too so hopefully the instructor will have some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now