filled knee

(24 Posts)
alwaysGOLD Thu 27-Sep-12 20:54:35

Dappleton - thank you smile will keep you updated

Landy77 - thanks for that, that was good to read, glad your friend had a positive out come smile

I know what you mean with local vets, she has been referred to potters bar now as they have the best scanning machine appaerntly (but newmarket i cant praise that place enough saved my other horse and the aftercare she got was first class)

Please excuse spelling on my phone minus specs!

Landy77 Thu 27-Sep-12 12:24:20

A friend had a similar problem with a show Arab as a youngster, they originally thought it was due to growing too fast. He was the same totally sound just horribly puffy
She got a referral to Newmarket after her vets counldnt find anything wrong and the end result was slight boney changes. He was operated on in both hocks in the end and he now looks amazing and you couldn't tell except for a scare from the bandaging after the op . . . Typical
I would defiantly insist on a referral . . . Not a huge fan of local vets

dappleton Thu 27-Sep-12 09:45:14

thanks for the update, I haven't posted as i have no idea what could be causing the problems but do please keep us posted and wishing you the best of luck.

alwaysGOLD Tue 25-Sep-12 10:39:24

Just a update for you all (again thanks for your help and advice)

Scan showed nothing unusal, but knee has now formed a rather large boney growth above it in the last few days, so off back to vets again to scan/xray lump. Take a few samples then go from there!

alwaysGOLD Mon 10-Sep-12 22:22:22

Oo thank you shall have a google for his books

Pickles77 Sun 09-Sep-12 13:37:13

I can't find my vet book, but there's a brilliant vet named Peter rossdale, his books are fantastic and I'm sure he'd have some thought outside the box on it but I can't find the bloody thing

alwaysGOLD Sun 09-Sep-12 13:22:07

Pickles - havent had fluid drained off, im not keen on that same reasons that horseylady stated, also with draining it fluid will eventually return

Horseylady - was thinking the same for turning away. She could keep my youngster company for winter
Hopefully will be having scan friday so should have some more insight in what the cause is.

Thanks for your replys everyone have found them v.helpful thanks again

horseylady Sat 08-Sep-12 23:08:13

The problem with draining a joint is the massive risk of infection! I'd be tempted to turn her away until Xmas and see if these scans are inconclusive. Then look at draining or injections in the new year. ESP given her age. I wouldn't drain if it was mine, not unless it was a last resort. See what the vet says.

Pickles77 Sat 08-Sep-12 20:03:26

Have you ever had the fluid drained off?

alwaysGOLD Sat 08-Sep-12 20:02:09

Sorry excuse the spelling!

alwaysGOLD Sat 08-Sep-12 20:00:02

I know its very strange, and a tad frustrating too lol no splints, no kicks shes boss of the field they (shes with two other mares) seem to steer clear from her.
No wounds, shes had scans and xrays nothing found apart from the fluid shes going for a more intentsive scan in the week.

horseylady Sat 08-Sep-12 16:16:29

Gosh how odd? Thought you were going to say she was older. Is there any sign of a splint developing close to the joint? Has she been kicked or had a small puncture wound from a thorn or something? Has she had an ultrasound scan?

alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 23:14:37

Shes 6yrs,we was showing and the odd xc i school 3 times a week 45mins, hack 3 times a week i dont trot on roads.
Shes had it about 12 weeks + now

horseylady Fri 07-Sep-12 22:20:45

How old is she? What was she doing pre swelling? How long has it gone on for?

alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 12:29:51

Thank you! This ones a thinker lol

Pickles77 Fri 07-Sep-12 12:26:24

I shall have a think wink

alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 12:25:35

No stays the same regardless if shes
worked or not.

Pickles77 Fri 07-Sep-12 12:14:44

If she does nothing does it get bigger?

alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 12:13:42

Thanks frankel was a interesting read

Pickles - its quite a bit of filling her knee is twice normal size.

Before this swelling she was schooled three times a week for around 45mins, hacked three times a week, i dont trot on roads. At the moment she is just doing light hacking walking only, and a lunge twice a week (walking only) just to keep the fat abay, she out at night and in during the day.

Pickles77 Fri 07-Sep-12 11:53:09

How much filling is in it? How much do you do with her? Are u keeping her in?

FrankelSaysRelax Fri 07-Sep-12 11:41:48
alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 11:39:42

ive tried that, shes had time off, walking in hand, light exercise then back into normal work.
Doesnt change, the shape of it does where the fluids shifted about.
Thank you for replying!

Pickles77 Fri 07-Sep-12 11:04:39

Have you tried walking in hand exercise seeing if it goes down?

alwaysGOLD Fri 07-Sep-12 11:03:42

Im fishing around for ideas to what to try on my horses blasted swollen knee.

Ive had vet out shes not lame, passes flexion tests. No heat in it.
Shes had xrays, scans cant find nothing, just a build up of a fluid. Shes going for a more intentsive scan in a few days.
May require injecting the joint or draining which im not keen on as the fluid will return with draning.
Ive tried hot/cold packs.
Cold hosing
Therapy boots
Magnet boots
Icetight
Bute
Any ideas welcome..brainstorming here. Were all at a loss with this knee.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now