Can anyone PLEASE help with the White Rose maths planning?

(19 Posts)
LittleBusses Tue 22-Nov-16 19:22:24

We're using this scheme and it's great... but I can't do it. It takes so long to create weekly plans from the overview that I can't do it anymore.

Are there any weekly plans already out there? I figure it must be easier to work from ready made planning and adapt it to the class I'm teaching than work from the overview every week!

It takes me hours to plan maths every week! It's ridiculous. I'm in year 3, but I know others in the school are struggling as well.

Minispringroll Tue 22-Nov-16 19:48:49

confused
There are schemes "out there". Hamilton have fully resourced weekly plans, for example.
However, what is taking you so long? Do you have any easy resources that you can use to help you out? I think having the resources is much more useful than having planning...but I'm rubbish at following other people's planning. grin
I used to simply take the objectives and then build the lesson around those, either using practical activities or textbooks. It does depend on how you set up your Maths lessons, though.

LittleBusses Tue 22-Nov-16 20:43:13

I'm new to the school, new to the scheme.

We have very few resources. It's the resources I'm struggling with...

The coverage is great - but it's so hard trying to put it on to a plan (that someone else will also use).

Is it such a bad question? I don't really like folling schemes, but they can be a crutch to get you started.

BetweenTwoLungs Tue 22-Nov-16 22:11:54

Have you seen the daily break down of the objectives?

BetweenTwoLungs Tue 22-Nov-16 22:14:29

If not, scroll down on this website to third paragraph, where it says 'click here':

mathshub.sjb.school/2016/07/20/free-lesson-breakdown-textbook-mapping/

I'm Maths coord at a school that uses White Rose, feel free to PM me.

GraceGrape Tue 22-Nov-16 22:17:41

Do you have a twinkl subscription. They have a lot of helpful "mastery" resources if you search by objective and year group. I've found them to give me inspiration for the reasoning side of things. Also the nrich website for problem -solving.

LittleBusses Tue 22-Nov-16 22:33:09

Thank you. I know in a few weeks, it'll get easier, but for now it's overwhelming (it's a maternity cover, but I've started earlier than expected and I'm not as prepared as I could be!(

LittleBusses Tue 22-Nov-16 22:49:01

BetweenTwo!ungs

Thank you! That's great.

GraceGrape

Thank you! I've had a look on Twinkl, there's some good stuff (I thought Twinkl was Sparklebox, so haven't used it, but realise it's different, now).

Minispringroll Wed 23-Nov-16 09:53:47

As I said, I think it's more useful to have a range of resources than other people's planning. Twinkl is one place to quickly find some stuff. Nrich is great.
I quite like the Target your Maths books.
We have the full range of Inspire Maths at home. I find them quite challenging for the children I teach (difficult intake) but my DH's school is using them, which is why we've got copies (he teaches across KS2) and it means I can use the books for the year - or two - below, if needed.

LittleBusses Wed 23-Nov-16 10:17:12

I agree... but you have to start somewhere. I'm getting my head round A LOT all in one go. Sometimes it's not possible to plan in the most ideal way.

Once you've followed something for a while, you find its limitations and move away from it. Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees. In this job, no one cares that you haven't found your feet yet - they want it to be perfect already. I've been given today to get my head round it (hence why I posted asking last night), after that, I'm back to trying to fit it all it...

^the advice above are not schemes, they are just help (showing me which page of a book supports the scheme - that will save me hours of searching around trying to find supporting books).

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 23-Nov-16 10:26:45

Have you been given any guidance at all on how to use it?

LittleBusses Wed 23-Nov-16 10:29:42

No... when I said I was struggling, I've been given the overview (autumn/ spring/ summer) with lovely ideas, but no clue as how to turn it into something and pointed towards the website and have been given today...

I'm sure it's great and will soon make sense, but at the moment I'm struggling to make something concrete from it.

HopeClearwater Wed 23-Nov-16 21:05:39

I thought White Rose themselves didn't recommend it as actual day to day planning?

LittleBusses Wed 23-Nov-16 21:23:57

Well, I'm sure it's like the Literacy strategy where we had to move on at precisely 15 minutes of each section of the lesson...

Whether it's meant to be like that or not, that what's expected here...

That's the scheme they use, so that's what I have to use...

phlebasconsidered Thu 24-Nov-16 20:06:14

Watching with interest as I also struggle. With "old" levels 1 to 6 in my class it's hard and very time consuming to plan as they suggest. Last a certain point "fluency" tasks can be starters, but it's the reasoning I struggle with. Across all my levels it's impossible without a gazillion different tasks.

BetweenTwoLungs Sat 26-Nov-16 09:32:06

Phleba ive got some nice reasoning tasks which can be easily adapted, if you pm me your email or something I can send them over.

toomuchicecream Sun 27-Nov-16 08:03:49

I think the White Rose schemes of learning are fabulous - but they need to be used in conjunction with a mastery approach to maths because that's what they were written for. If you haven't had any training/support to explain how the 2 work together, I can see exactly why you are finding it tough.

If it's resources you are struggling with, and you don't mind spending just under £40 (or you can persuade the school to spend it), then I can't recommend the Maths No Problem books highly enough. The White Rose stuff was written to tie in with them. There aren't enough lessons there to cover the whole year and you do have to adapt them to suit your class so I do things like make 1 lesson last 2 days by using my maths journals, making the suggested Activity Time into a longer activity with written recording, or using resources from other books eg We Can Do It to supplement. We use Maths No Problem as our spine and then use our professional judgement to create a sequence of lessons. As well as 1 copy each of Maths No Problem I've also bought the staff at my school 1 copy of the Collins Shanghai Maths book (not brilliant, but has some good ideas worth adapting), a subscription to Deepening Understanding (which as some great reasoning/problem solving/application activities) and a subscription to Mathsframe, which in addition to great visuals for the IWB has some activities to print off. If you haven't already done so, download the NCETM assessment materials for your year group - it's another bank of sample questions which you can incorporate in your lessons (don't need to use them for assessment).

I bought Target Your Maths for KS2 a year ago, before we went down the mastery route. It's fine - plenty of examples on a page, no fuss or visual clutter (unlike Abacus), mathematically sound and is value for money. But I've seen no evidence of it using conceptual or procedural variation (which are a key part of teaching for mastery) and there's not a lot of problem solving that I've seen. In my opinion it's best used for fluency practice, but the resources I've listed above are much better for problem solving and developing reasoning.

If year 1 planning is any good to you, I'm very happy to share smile

Cosmicglitterpug Sun 27-Nov-16 08:13:54

I look at Hamilton Trust for ideas sometimes, but generally I prefer to build around the objective. As you've just taken over, could you use textbooks (abacus/target your maths) as a stating point to give yourself a breather? i.e. Look at what the activity in the book is and work backwards. With a focus on times tables as a starter. Then you'll have that planned and can get to grips with what the school want.
Does anyone at school have saved plans from last year you could look at? Do you have a partner teacher?
Have they a plan? Nice of the school to throw you in the deep end!

goingmadinthecountry Sun 27-Nov-16 09:34:46

Toomuch kindly pointed me in the direction of Maths no Problem a few months ago and I love it - I teach Y3/4 and have a vast range of abilities, behaviours etc. I'm still tweaking the way I deliver it (only have my own copy) and use lots of other materials/activities but I'm much happier with my delivery of maths to this group than I thought I would be. Well worth a go. Went on a LA maths assessment course - lots more visual stuff, evidence of choosing manipulatives in books from everyone. It's definitely helping with applying right across the ability range.
Disclaimer - I'm lucky enough to work in a school where I have the flexibility to try new stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now