Resignation email etiquette (trainee teacher)

(8 Posts)
PamplemousseRouge Mon 21-Nov-16 12:26:25

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate it if you could help me please. (It is possible that I'm over-thinking this, but it would be extremely useful to have some reassurance and advice please!) smile

I'm a trainee teacher, and have made the decision to resign from my course.

I've been told to write a resignation email addressed to three recipients (the headteacher at my school, a school staff member who I see on a regular basis and a senior staff member at my training provider) to let them know of my decision to resign.

In the interests of remaining polite and professional, would you suggest that I address the headteacher by their title and surname (Mr X) or by their first name?

If I then address the headteacher by their title and surname, would you suggest that I also address my colleague (also a teacher) by their title and surname (bearing in mind that I am more familiar with this teacher, but would like to ensure my email is professional).

With regards to the staff member at my training provider, I have always called him by his first name, and have always been encouraged to do so.

So essentially my email (addressed to 3 people) would either read: 'dear Mr X, Mr Y and Harry (training provider staff member referred to by first name)' or 'dear Tom, Dick and Harry'.

WWYD in this situation?

Thank you everyone for your help smile

IEatCannibals Mon 21-Nov-16 12:27:42

I would put "dear all"

Or send three seperate emails.

IEatCannibals Mon 21-Nov-16 12:28:12

Or address it to the main one only and cc the others in.

Scarydinosaurs Mon 21-Nov-16 12:28:24

All recipients, both names like this:

Dear Mr Jim Rogers,
Mrs Sarah Bright
Dr Megan Floyd

Checkedstripes Mon 21-Nov-16 21:09:38

I'd possibly send a separate email to your mentor acknowledging their help and support even if it's a lie just so it's slightly more personal.

PamplemousseRouge Mon 21-Nov-16 21:26:58

Thank you everyone for all of your replies! smile I've sent the email, and will also be sending an email to my mentors separately (thanks to Checked for the suggestion!)

nothruroad Mon 21-Nov-16 21:56:30

I hope you feel better now you have reached a decision. Good luck for the future.

SuperPug Mon 21-Nov-16 22:07:53

I think I've followed some of your threads and really glad you've made a decision. Best of luck for the future flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now