Please cheer me up!

(12 Posts)
Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:42:42

My evening thus far reads like this, planning lessons for the week and lost everything (I mean everything!) from my USB (insert tears, tantrum and general panic here). DH manages to go online and recovers everything, I am now elated. Then realise it has just cost me £70 in software to recover my files - I now feel sick. sad

theluckiest Sun 13-Nov-16 21:06:12

Arrrgh!!! But thank the lord that you got it back. What a nightmare.

I had just that feeling when I got home, put my stuff in the wash and sat down to plan a few hours later...no memory stick. I tended to leave it at school sometimes but knew I had definitely brought it home that day.

The sick feeling when I realised that I had left it in my pocket and it was now on a 40 degree wash....Amazingly, it survived the experience!

That'll teach me to back up. And check clothes before I wash them!

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:17:40

Crikey, you were so lucky it survived. I always forget to back stuff up too, but I have definitely learnt my lesson. The only thing now is that all the files have lost their names so I have to sift through and rename them all. I've also lost a PowerPoint I spent this evening making angry

noblegiraffe Mon 14-Nov-16 00:12:34

I got a new laptop last September. Saved loads of resources to it as I made them. Kept meaning to back it up but, y'know.

One around January it just stopped working without warning. The hard drive couldn't be recognised. It was a door stop. As it was still in warranty they swapped it for a new one but there was nothing they could do about getting my stuff back.

So now my hard drive automatically backs up to Dropbox.

70ontheinside Wed 16-Nov-16 21:23:57

You need to start saving or at least backing up in the cloud - google drive, one drive, Dropbox, etc.
I can't remember the last time I used a memory stick!

PurpleAlerts Wed 16-Nov-16 21:41:29

Google drive is your friend in these circumstances- it backs everything and you can access it from anywhere. I have all my files from my last job on the drive and so I can access it from work when on PPA. It's very handy!

elephantoverthehill Wed 16-Nov-16 22:25:37

Why are you not doing work on your work laptop? I bring mine home every night do my work and save it to my (school) docs. If any thing goes wrong, which it rarely does, it is up to the techs at school to sort it.

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Nov-16 22:34:51

I don't have a work laptop, I think I had one ten years ago. We've got work iPads but obviously they're bobbins for writing resources on.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Thu 17-Nov-16 20:23:24

I know I should back it up, I definitely will now after this. Unfortunately I don't have a school laptop, it would make life a lot easier that's for sure!

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Thu 17-Nov-16 20:24:22

I have an iPad and I agree Giraffe, it's an absolute pain to write resources with

elephantoverthehill Thu 17-Nov-16 21:19:21

Sorry folks, I have seen teachers in other schools with ipads etc. but thought they were a bit of an accessory i.e. something light to carry around school rather than the laptop. blush.

MissMillament Fri 18-Nov-16 09:39:11

Feeling your pain! We have ancient desktop computers in our classrooms. No laptops or ipads. I now do everything on Dropbox after one too many lost memory stick disasters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now