Cake for parents evening?

(26 Posts)
Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 31-Oct-16 12:53:23

If I make a nice cake for the staff room to help get them through parents evening will I look like a creep?
Like I made cake to make sure they will be nice about my child?

temporarilyjerry Mon 31-Oct-16 15:13:20

No, you will not look like a creep. Teachers love cake. (fact)

BossWitch Mon 31-Oct-16 15:14:38

They will love the cake, like you very much, and still be honest about your child! It's a lovely gesture.

usual Mon 31-Oct-16 15:19:56

It's a bit try hard.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 31-Oct-16 15:29:22

I think it would be a kind gesture.

TheTroubleWithAngels Mon 31-Oct-16 18:00:38

We'd really appreciate it!

SuperPug Mon 31-Oct-16 18:13:06

What a great idea. Very thoughtful and appreciated on a long parents' evening.

HorridHenrietta2 Mon 31-Oct-16 18:20:19

I like cake, I would be happy with this smile

annandale Mon 31-Oct-16 18:21:31

It's possible to do this anonymously smile

Soozikinzi Mon 31-Oct-16 18:28:08

We would too xx

Euphemia Mon 31-Oct-16 18:49:54

Nice! We wouldn't have time to eat it during parents' evening, but it would be scoffed in thirty seconds flat afterwards! grin

A bit try hard?! How mean!

IlsaLund Mon 31-Oct-16 19:18:29

Staff would be delighted - we had a parent arrive one year with doughnuts for us all, we were all delighted.

Cuppaand2biscuits Tue 01-Nov-16 09:14:55

Thank you. I collect my pre school children up at 12 so was going to drop the cake in then so they could use lunchtime to fuel up! My other child is year 1.

Wolfiefan Tue 01-Nov-16 09:17:11

Sounds lovely.

Tollygunge Tue 01-Nov-16 09:54:56

I'm a teacher and I always bring cake for my own child's parents eve. Trust me, nobody will be saying you're 'try hard.' Everyone will be saying how lovely you are

Sukistjames Tue 01-Nov-16 09:59:43

I'm a teacher and have to do parents evening today. I hope your child is at my school! winkcake

temporarilyjerry Tue 01-Nov-16 17:26:31

Fingers crossed for you, Suki

Sukistjames Tue 01-Nov-16 19:02:16

Damn, no cake in our staff room today!

BizzyFizzy Tue 01-Nov-16 20:02:31

I'm not sure what I think about this.

By all means send in a cake for the staff room or a tin or biscuits, but it's a bit weird tying it into parents' evening. What if the conversation was to get difficult and the teacher held back because of your kindness?

From personal experience, a previous school I worked at had parents' days after the last day of term. I don't think I could have come down really hard on their daughters after their lovely expensive gifts.

By all means, send in a cake, but perhaps a couple of days later, acknowledging their additional work for the week. The teachers will still really appreciate the gesture, probably even more so.

I know that wanting to give a thoughtful gift to the whole staff can be quite overwhelming. I know when my DD got her scholarship to her senior school, I just had to take in, not one but three tins of naice biscuits in appreciation to the staff at her not-highly-regarded primary school. I cried as I handed them over sad .

IlsaLund Tue 01-Nov-16 20:45:28

Bizzy, I'm assuming the OP is referencing the fact that the day of Parents' Evening can be extremely long for teachers - in our school I would probably arrive at about 7.30am and not leave until at least 7.30pm.
As well as meetings after school staff would have taught all day - a treat like a piece of cake would be especially welcome on that day

BizzyFizzy Tue 01-Nov-16 20:48:25

Just offering an alternative opinion, and hopefully a valid one. For a long day, I would appreciate a nice tray of sandwiches more than a cake, in terms of satisfying a physical need. JMOYMMV.

MidniteScribbler Sat 12-Nov-16 08:11:34

Our school always puts on a big spread in the staff room on nights we're staying late. Our principal likes to make sure we're all well fed!

leccybill Sat 12-Nov-16 22:09:45

Every high school I've taught at has provided sandwiches, tea/coffee and dessert after school and before parents evening. Not sure if primaries do the same.

IlsaLund Sun 13-Nov-16 16:05:17

None of the primaries I've worked at have ever provided food - that includes evenings when there are concerts etc. In effect staff can be on the premises from 7-30am until past 8pm. We tend to provide our own food and share.

CalleighDoodle Sun 13-Nov-16 16:08:19

if someone offered me a bottle of water during parents evening i wouldnbe terribly grateful. If they offered me a cup of tea during parents evening id be delighted.! I certainly wouldnt have time to eat a slice of cake though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now