How would you answer this interview question?

(8 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 29-Oct-16 16:48:04

"What are your CPD needs?"

I was asked this recently and was thrown by it. A colleague was asked the same at an interview for a different post. Both posts were ASN-related.

DelphiniumBlue Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:52

" I would like training on....." / " I want to learn more about ...."

Euphemia Sat 29-Oct-16 16:52:25

Yes but what is it acceptable to say you need?! I couldn't think of anything.

Mishaps Sat 29-Oct-16 16:53:19

I am a school governor - it is a question that we always ask teachers at interview. It gives us an idea of how ambitious they are; how self-aware they are; and what support we should prepare for them if they get the job. Based on those points, I am sure that you can think of things that would demonstrate these qualities.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 29-Oct-16 16:54:30

There should be something in the job specification that you could use to answer this. So you'd be answering how you would do X through CPD and building on your previous experience, in order to do Y and lead this across the school.

Hope you're well smile

Heirhelp Sat 29-Oct-16 16:57:34

I suppose it depends on the role and the areas you feel you need to develop.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 29-Oct-16 16:59:03

I was asked this question when I moved from mainstream to alternative provision. I asked about de-escalation and mental health in young people. I think you just need to show you are aware of the differences between your new and old role, and be honest about where your current strengths and experience lie.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 29-Oct-16 19:33:38

You can also say "ongoing CPD" and give examples, e.g. to stay up to date on curriculum and syllabus changes and pastoral care (from child protection law to mindfulness), as well as growing subject knowledge and finding out about different methods of assessment / management / discipline / motivating colleagues and students, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now