Resources for dyslexia.

(7 Posts)
Ziggitypop Sat 22-Oct-16 17:28:33

Hi! Would like to pick your brains please:
Firstly, can anybody recommend a dyslexia or phonics program that gets those really hard to reach children learning? Any programs welcome and I can research them over half term.

Secondly, has anybody come across any first readers, decodable cvc word types, that are aimed at older readers. Have a low attaining but streetwise learner who is really offended that we keep giving him baby books!

littlecupcake Sun 23-Oct-16 10:38:22

Barrington Stoke publish high interest, low reading age books so they might work for your learner.

I'd recommend the Nessy Learning software and apps, all of the dyslexic children I've taught have loved them. Particularly recommend Needy Deluxe if it's for school - all the printable sheets are included, you can make games with it, it's a complete structured programme in one.

Bluepowder Sun 23-Oct-16 10:42:11

Rapid phonics is a programme that combines phonics learning with decodable books that run alongside - we use them with older children.
Nessy is good too.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 23-Oct-16 11:01:12

my DC is severely dyslexic. We were recommended Little Gems as being designed to be suitable for older children whose reading levels are low. Sadly they are so dull and seem to be older books that have been poorly edited/cut down. eg Morpurgo from mid 1970's. The Barrington Stoke books are too difficult for my DC. It is a tricky situation.

toomuchicecream Sun 23-Oct-16 14:02:13

Have a look at this:
bdatech.org/2015/02/08/literacy-toolbox/

I had huge success with a pupil a couple of years ago who had had nearly 3 years of phonics lessons and interventions but just wasn't making any progress at all. In half a term of doing this he suddenly jumped forwards 3 book bands ie +/- 6 months progress.

kesstrel Sun 23-Oct-16 18:01:04

Dancing Bears

Ziggitypop Sun 23-Oct-16 21:29:22

Thank you so much for your input, very helpful. Dyslexia resources can get pricy for several children can't they?? Am looking into them all though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now