Where can I get me some confidence

(8 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Fri 21-Oct-16 19:16:23

Am in my 1st Pgce placement and am really enjoying it, but when I teach, I look at the sea of faces on the carpet and immediately feel like I'm one of them, and have no business being sat in the 'hot seat".
I can get through the lesson, and they enjoy them and seem to learn, but I feel like they can see through me. I should be projecting confidence and complete control, but I don't feel like I am.
How can I become the paragon I want to be...? (am a career changer and have had a good career in another sphere so it's not a youth thing)

Mymothersdaughter Fri 21-Oct-16 19:23:34

I found this book helpful- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charisma-Myth-Master-Personal-Magnetism/dp/0670922870

I have the same issue really. I try to dress to impress and little things that make me more confident like making sure my eyebrows are plucked lol

I once created an alter ego but I'm not really imaginative enough to stay in character.

I also found a guy doing a free taster session on assertiveness in my local area. It was fun but going to it I actually realised I had more confidence than I thought

The main thing is just practice though, you'll get more confident as you get more knowledge and skills. You probably look much more confident than you actually feel! Common issue I think- called the imposter syndrome!

Lizzylou Fri 21-Oct-16 19:29:08

I completed my NQT year last year (Secondary) and was also a career changer.
My advice is "fake it till you make it", if the children are enjoying your lessons and making progress (and they don't know how you feel, they really don't!), then don't sweat. It takes a while for the inner demons to go, I still have days when I think "they are all going to find out I am a fraud". Speaking with other teachers it is a fairly common feeling.

reallyamazeballs Fri 21-Oct-16 19:32:34

I should imagine most teachers have to start off faking it until they genuinely feel confident. I assume you're teaching infant/primary as you mention them sitting on the carpet. As a parent, a huge bonus, particularly at that age group, is that the teacher enjoys what they're doing. You can learn techniques about how to control the class over time. That's what teaching practice is for. Good luck.

sohackedoff Fri 21-Oct-16 19:32:46

Check out the Amy Cuddy book Presence. One of the issues she addresses is imposter syndrome. She's also done a brilliant TED talk on how your physiology affects your psychology.

SarfEast1cated Fri 21-Oct-16 20:26:24

Yes, you are right everyone, thanks for your replies.
Yes they are Y2 and a really nice class, so I should be praising the heavens, but I still feel like I'm not worthy in a way.
I will watch the video of the The Charisma Myth author and will hopefully be transformed.

elephantoverthehill Fri 21-Oct-16 20:33:06

I've been teaching for 30 years and I still get these moments. IMO teaching is close to acting, everyone understands stage fright. I find the best way to get through it is to think 'I did this yesterday, I will do it again tomorrow, so I can do it today'.

SarfEast1cated Fri 21-Oct-16 20:38:28

Thank you elephant - much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now