How do I ace this job interview? TA at an IB school - PYP

(8 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Thu 20-Oct-16 23:11:01

It is a dream job. 60% position so a little more than strictly part time.
It is an IB international school (overseas)

I have never worked in education, I have taught adult language courses, and I have been a parent helper in my dc schools.

I think my positive sides are the following:
Good English from living in London (and teaching is in English)
I am a mum to a 14 and an 11 year old
I know from being a parent UK primary and secondary education, local primary and secondary education
I have international experience
I have various degrees from UNI
I have plenty work experience and professional courses

How do I convince them I am serious about a career change and that I will be their dream PA (after decades in business doing finance and marketing related work)

monkeysox Sat 22-Oct-16 07:04:21

Ta or pa?

It is part-time. Anything less than full time is described as part time.

They would not waste time interviewing you if you didn't have skills and experience they're after.

Good luck

Lilaclily Sat 22-Oct-16 07:12:06

Meet all the criteria on the job spec with clear examples to get an interview first smile

TheFallenMadonna Sat 22-Oct-16 07:14:49

Are you familiar with the IB learner Profile? I would link that to your experience.

Fourmantent Sat 22-Oct-16 09:04:09

Think of all the questions they are likely to ask, write them down and then get someone to give you a practise interview.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 23-Oct-16 21:55:32

Thanks for replies.

Teaching Assistant.
I looked at the learner profile, and I think it looks very interesting, I will think of ways of linking my experience - great because I have never been a TA before.

I have the interview at 9 am tomorrow morning, so I am a little nervous! Worried about what to wear as well!

I had a sort of practice interview over the phone with my cousin, who is a teacher. We were talking about my strenght and weaknesses and how to show my values correspond with school values.

Avebury Sun 23-Oct-16 23:52:01

What country are you in and what age group would you be working with?
In general I think a TA needs a combination of initiative and willingness to be directed but also just common sense and confidence.
Good luck

QuintessentialShadow Tue 25-Oct-16 19:55:35

I did not get it.
But I feel that I did a good interview. Just not good enough.

Turns out it is a full time position, from 7.30 in the morning till end of the school day. It is just calculated as 60% due to the grade being "office worker", but having holidays the same length as teachers, so.... It is Norway, so works a little differently here. I cant do full time anyway, as I am alone, and I also study two full days per week.

The HT looked at my uni education, and said it would be unwise to settle for a TA position in primary years when I was just some 18 months off being a qualified teacher for secondary level. She felt it would be difficult to combine work and studies, and she said she rather see me again as a teacher in a few years time.

So, that is what I will do, continue focus on my studies (and my other part time work) and ensure I can as quickly as possible "get out there".

I am also registered for bank work now, which is a start and will give me some experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now