Amount of work out of hours...

(14 Posts)
SheStoodInTheStorm Sun 16-Oct-16 18:18:56

I'm interested in how much work you do outside of school. I know there is a necessary amount but I can't keep up.

I am in reception and we only get lunch break, so I have no assembly times or break times to do a bit of catch up. Always at work until at least 5.

I have a toddler so working at home is very limited in terms of time, sometimes by the time they have gone to bed I need took to bed myself.

How do you get it all done?

Chapsy Sun 16-Oct-16 18:26:45

I work after the children have gone to bed every evening from approx 9-11.30pm. Go to school at 7.30am, leave at 5. I couldn't not do this as I have to mark and prepare.

I work my arse off in term time and enjoy the holidays.

SheStoodInTheStorm Sun 16-Oct-16 18:34:05

Probably is I am falling asleep by 9:30pm! My day starts at 5:30am.
When I worked in a key stage it was much more manageable and I could get everything done, reception is a different ball game.

BlessYourCottonSocks Tue 18-Oct-16 00:23:08

Secondary school teaching KS3 to A level. In school from 8 til 5 generally, then I would usually work about 3 hours each evening, probably 7.30 - 10.30. Several hours at a weekend. I reckon my hours sound similar to Chapsy's. I work ridiculous hours, probably 65/70 hour weeks in term time and (try) to keep my holidays sacred. This half term is going to involve a lot of planning unfortunately for the new GCSE. At the moment I am coping a term at a time with plans/resources.

BizzyFizzy Wed 19-Oct-16 16:42:21

I don't do any work outside of school hours.

BlessYourCottonSocks Wed 19-Oct-16 19:43:12

How the hell do you manage that?

sazerashez Wed 19-Oct-16 19:48:40

I don't do any work outside of school hours either unless it's exam marking or course work. I never have done and have taught both primary and secondary.

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 19-Oct-16 19:51:51

I'm in school from 8-5 and work for 2/3 hours a night every night, including weekends, so I'm doing 59-66 hours a week. I get a few PPAs in that time, and I usually do my TLR role in those. 20 hours of that is direct contact time.

Over school holidays I frantically catch up on marking if I've had to let it slide during term time and look after my own kids.

I love my job but flip heck it's too much work.

BizzyFizzy Wed 19-Oct-16 21:08:52

I teach Y4-8 and my directed time is from 8am - 6pm. I get all my work done in those hours. I am quite strict about it.

PurpleAlerts Thu 20-Oct-16 22:16:17

You are paid for directed time between 8 and 6? That would make directed time of 50 hours a week full time? Is that what you actually get paid for? If so you are not working in a UK school.

Directed time for a full time teacher is 32.5 hours a week.

BizzyFizzy Fri 21-Oct-16 01:54:38

I don't work in a state school.

BlessYourCottonSocks Fri 21-Oct-16 19:10:28

Well I'm just home for half term with 60 Y9 assessment essays to mark, 42 A level essays and a set of Y7 books to mark...sigh.

Also have to sit and do next term's planning at some point. I honestly don't see how it's possible (at secondary level certainly) to not do any work outside school hours. Not nowadays - and I am old and experienced. I have 3 hours a week PPA and quite often at least one of these is taken up by A level students wanting to discuss concerns with me. It just isn't possible to do the marking/feedback required in a couple of hours a week.

PumpkinPie2016 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:08:20

In school from 7.30 - 4.30 (kids start at 8.30 and finish at 2.30 as we only have a 30 min lunch).

I get 4 hours PPA per week. I also have a toddler so can't work until he is in bed. I then work 7.30-11 ish most nights and do some at the weekend as well.

I teach secondary and with detailed marking, running an extra curricular club, year team meetings, department meetings, CPD, assemblies, duty, data entry, sorting pastoral stuff plus any other things I've forgotton there is no way I could not work out of school time sad

Just to add insult to injury, having just had observations and work scrutiny, we will be having course leader drop ins after half term.

So glad half term is here because I'm on my knees sad

grumpypug Sat 22-Oct-16 21:11:04

I teach reception. I work 7.30am - 5.30/6pm on school days and in the evenings 2/3hrs (occasionally longer - until midnight when data is due). I work Friday / Saturday nights 7-11pm. I try not to work Sunday nights.

In the holidays, I go into school 1 day each week (10-3pm) and only work 2/3 nights each week. I take the first week of the summer hols off and don't do any work during this 1st week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now