Lesson observation help!

(5 Posts)
FelicityRivers Mon 03-Oct-16 21:55:39

I have my first teaching interview coming up. Part of the process is teaching a 30 min lesson to a year 5 class based on 'reasoning', can be linked to +/-/place value/money.
I am an NQT and feeling very overwhelmed and anxious about the lesson. I've had a complete brain block and I would be so grateful if anyone has any ideas which could help me.
Thank you for reading!

Pud2 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:22:29

Have a look at The White Rose Maths Hub termly mastery overviews (schemes of learning). They have loads of reasoning ideas. You have to join but it's free.
whiterosemathshub.co.uk/free-learning-schemes/
Good luck.

TCmytreasure Mon 03-Oct-16 23:08:55

Also look at Ncetm & Nrich websites.

FelicityRivers Tue 04-Oct-16 11:46:56

Thank you so much for those links, they've been extremely helpful.
I'm going to do a 'connect 4' type game where the children have to answer different questions based on place value and +/- using reasoning, and try and get 4 in a row against a partner.
Any opinions? Sorry I know it's a bit vague.

TCmytreasure Tue 04-Oct-16 16:53:04

Just make sure you do some focused teaching & that you look at the year group expectations relating to place value. Also be prepared to perhaps have an easier version for the less able as you might have some that simply can't access year 5 place value expectations. Hope this helps. I'm purely a ks1 teacher so have had no experience of ks2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now