Shite observation

(5 Posts)
Lara2 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:57:22

Just that really. I have a group of 12 year 1's every morning - behaviour group. I have a lovely and brilliant LSA, but it's still fricking hard work - especially on a Monday morning. Today they had an ultra exciting beginning of their day in Year 1 and then came to me - to say that they couldn't cope is putting it mildly! Just as my observation starts - fuck! It was beyond hideous. To make matters worse, no- one seems to be able to give me the definitive answer about wether I'm supposed to be running a quasi nurture group or an English withdrawal group - it's driving me mad!!!!
I've been googling how to disappear.........
And breathe........

TheTroubleWithAngels Mon 26-Sep-16 19:42:53

That's rubbish. I'm sorry.

12 is far too big for a behaviour group though, that's not fair on you. Our nurture is capped at 6.

noblegiraffe Mon 26-Sep-16 19:50:36

The observation should show that the group is unmanageable at its current size.
What kind of observation was it? Could you approach the feedback in an 'as you can see this group isn't working in its current form, I need clear guidance of what I am expected to be achieving/a smaller group/kids who haven't been wound up etc'?

Lara2 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:13:14

Angels - what's particularly nuts is that we used to have a nurture group and they got rid of it!!! It is too big a group and there's no mix of children; no Boxalls were done ( they had a 'better' assessment!?). So, instead I have no good role models - one little boy has started copying the 'under the table' routine of a couple of the others, he's never done anything like this before!

noble - I hope that's what I can achieve from my feedback. But I'm feeling like a really shit teacher tonight...

Euphemia Mon 26-Sep-16 20:27:22

It's not you - it's the setup. I agree with being proactive - use this as an excellent opportunity to flag this up and ask for a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now