Primary PGCE - job prospects?

(9 Posts)
99littleducks Thu 22-Sep-16 22:29:37

Right, so I'm a bit confused at the moment and I'm looking for advice please.

Youngest dc has just started full time so I thought now I had the freedom to pursue teaching. It's something I have always been interested in but just couldn't commit to it. But there are a few things making me doubt how I'll manage.

I have 2 dc in primary, is childcare going to be a big problem? The school they are at doesn't seem to have great options, before school club starts at 8am and after school club goes on til 4.30pm.

What kind of hours can I expect to put in?

My husband is just about to start a job 1 hour and 15 minutes away so he won't be able to do much in terms of drop off and pick up.

I'm not sure if there is a shortage of jobs for primary teachers? I'd rather not have to struggle to find work after all that effort wink

DesolateWaist Thu 22-Sep-16 22:35:11

Personally I get into school around 8 if not before. I rarely get away before 5, it's generally closer to 6.
I don't think that 4.30 after school club is going to be much help at all given that a couple of days a week you are bound to have some kind of meeting.
If you do get away in time to pick up at 4.30 then you will have a lot of work to do at home.

chocoholic1234 Thu 22-Sep-16 22:40:25

Shortage of jobs depends entirely on your location. I got my first job in Essex, and I had my choice of jobs - I was the only applicant for the school I eventually went too (which I loved) and turned down another job. Now living in the North West and there are about 100 applicants for each job. If you want Part-time, or a reasonable commute… no chance.

With the other part, again it depends on location. One of the reasons I'm not currently teaching as breakfast club opens at 8am, and most primary teachers are in by then. A 4.30 pick up everyday would be virtually impossible. If you live in an area like Essex, you might be able to manage it.

As for hours… a good week was 55-60 hours. At certain times of the year, it was more like 70. And it's got a lot worse since then. I read someone describe those considering going into teaching at the moment as like running into a burning building saying those running out can't handle a bit of smoke. Having said that, I don't regret doing a PGCE as it's given me a lot more options.

99littleducks Thu 22-Sep-16 23:02:35

Thank you both for your replies.

chocoholic1234 that burning building analogy made me grin and sad simultaneously!

Yes I was quite surprised that the after school club only went on until 4.30pm. I don't think there are many families here where both parents work or if they do they have fairly flexible jobs.

Unfortunately there aren't many childminders close by either.

I've just got to find a way around it I guess.

99littleducks Thu 22-Sep-16 23:04:47

I'm in the West Midlands by the way, speaking to a NQT, there doesn't seem to be a shortage here...

99littleducks Thu 22-Sep-16 23:05:58

May I ask chocoholic1234 what options were open to you after doing the pgce?

slkk Thu 22-Sep-16 23:16:26

We're really struggling to recruit this year - seems to be a shortage round here. I think teaching is a great job with a family - though you will have to get a bit creative with finding time to work and with childcare as it isn't flexible at all.

trinitybleu Thu 22-Sep-16 23:32:45

The teachers at my daughters school bring their primary aged kids into their classrooms or let them play in the hall before / after school. When the before / after school club was in the same building they used to drift into that too.

chocoholic1234 Fri 23-Sep-16 13:41:35

The option to move to Essex to teach, to teach abroad if I wanted to, tutoring, teaching EFL. Currently I'm working as a TA - all the best bits of school life, without the hours or the responsibility (and without the pay, but the hourly rate is not too dissimilar). While my children are primary age, I wanted to have less stress and not worry about work while I'm with them. When they got older, or things become financially difficult I can go back into teaching (just maybe not in this area of the country).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now