Can I request a change of class - secondary

(13 Posts)
PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 17:45:54

Just some advice really.

I work in a core subject as a trainee/unqualified. I love my job, I'm good at it.

Every year (this is my third full) I've had changes of timetables, had challenging classes, disaffected, disadvantaged, I've taught anything from G grade to A grade.

But this year I have one class that honestly drive me to tears. I have come home tonight ready to pack it in I swear. They are known through the school for being hard, and I am well out of my depth. I haven't managed any decent classroom management, barely any work, and I dread that particukar afternoon.

I've followed all the behaviour schemes but it's more than that. I can't ban all the students causing issues from my class. But I cant face teaching them until next July.

What can I do? As an inexperienced teacher? Can I ask for a change if possible?

Optimist3 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:48:25

Go to your manager and tell them it isn't working for you and what strategies do they suggest

noblegiraffe Thu 22-Sep-16 17:56:19

Trainees shouldn't be given particularly difficult classes but if you've been doing it three years you don't appear to be on a particular training scheme?

Even if they can't give the class to a more experienced teacher (they should if you are a trainee) they can certainly support you with managing them - particularly difficult pupils should be taken out to help you engage the rest, SLT/HOD should be coming in and helping them settle/dropping in and bollocking them.

How long have you been teaching them?

PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 18:03:21

I'm basically working as an unqualified as I finish my honours degree, alongside training in teaching - kind of like the TES route to teaching, only longer term due to a couple of outside factors.

I've had them full on only this term, but had them on a temporary basis last year as well.

So it's not a really bad thing to say I can't do this class? I have been observed several times, and have been told I am doing the right things, and given ideas, but it's just a constant battle - which I know the HOD for instance wouldn't have.

I know not everyone agrees with UQTs but that's not my issue right now.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 22-Sep-16 18:11:52

Pop

this happens to all teachers. All of my colleagues have had "that class", it is unfortunately part of the job.

When I had a class like this, I didn't want to go into work, but one of the things that made it do able was that I looked for the small victories, a lesson with no referrals, a child actively taking part in the lesson, getting a pupil to relate the work to something outside of school, a pupil doing an extension task, pupils understanding the work etc. etc.

rollonthesummer Thu 22-Sep-16 18:13:26

What is the TES route to teaching?

SisterViktorine Thu 22-Sep-16 18:15:10

If other people can control them then you can learn to. You could view it as a really useful part of your training- if you can crack them you can crack any class.

Find out what does work for them from the teachers who can get the best out of them and learn to do it.

If nobody can control them then surely the school should be looking to split them up. Poor kids in there who are not disruptive. sad

noblegiraffe Thu 22-Sep-16 18:17:14

What behaviour management training have you had? How about www.amazon.co.uk/Cracking-Hard-Class-Strategies-Managing/dp/1412923565

Bill Rogers is very good.

PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 18:26:30

Rollonsummer

www.tes.com/institute/straight-to-teaching-qts

PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 18:29:29

Noble, various ones similar to Bill but I admit I haven't read his. Will see if I can find a Kindle version, or see if we have this resource at school.

You've reminded me though that I do have similar books, and notes from courses, upstairs. So will spend time reading them again this weekend.

I cracked a class like this last year, eventually,and the difference when I had was incredible. I just need to remember that. And remember this is not all my fault.

PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 18:30:59

Sister, I am working so hard to acknowledge those in the class that want to learn, or are getting lost. And that is working. I just need to breathe and remember Rome wasn't built in a day I guess.

Jubaloo442 Thu 22-Sep-16 18:37:51

I think you might have 2 ways to deal with this. First, you should be getting support from the school and department in terms of behaviour management strategies. Is the school used to this sort of behaviour or is this class known for being especially bad? I agree with PP, even as an experienced teacher I have at least one class each year where I feel that I'm not doing them any favours as we don't get as much done. But it's about sharing good practice, observing that class with other teachers etc. Are you being supported in that?

Second, are you being lumbered with more difficult classes than other members of your department? Because that's not particularly fair and it's not good management if so and it needs to be discussed if the school want your teaching career to be sustainable. Chucking all the difficult classes on one member of staff year after year (if this is happening) just shortens the life span of that teacher and also reduced morale massively.

Also I second Bill Rogers and also Sue Cowley - getting the buggers to behave. They really helped me.

Keep chipping away. You might not see the difference but you will be doing good for some of the kids in there. Try to make time in lessons to praise those who are quiet immediately, or who do complete some of a task well. Even if it's just one or 2 kids...

HTH. Sorry you're struggling.

PopFizz Thu 22-Sep-16 18:56:32

Thank you.

I have spoken to my manager who is taking it all very seriously, I need to give detailed feedback and a meeting tomorrow.

No, the classes are done very fairly. No one member of staff gets all top sets or all badly behaved, or all one year group. It is very very fairly done, as are room allocations and support.

Yes I have a huge amount of support in the department. I honestly couldnt work with a better team.

I think I kind of came here an hour ago with a defeated attitude, a want to give up. But posting has pushed me to deal with it instead. And thank you for that.

I will look into the book recommendations as well.

Now for a coffee and to fire up the laptop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now