Repost: Senior teaching JOB NI

(9 Posts)
WouldLoveACupOfTea Wed 21-Sep-16 18:22:04

Reposting here on advice from someone as I might get more responses.

Hi all teaching mumsnetters who live and work in Northern Ireland. I've been living and working in the UK for 17 years as a teacher. I've been a deputy head for the last four years and an assistant head for 5 before that. My husband, two kids and I are thinking of relocating back to NI next year. He works in a fairly transferable industry but I've heard it might be difficult for me to "break into" the northern Irish education market especially at my level.

Do you think this is true and if so any advice or tips on what I could do to boost my chances. I'd like to start applying after Christmas with a view to start next September.... In anticipation :-)

Cleebope Thu 22-Sep-16 18:11:30

So you would be applying for vice principal jobs here then? As you know, there aren't too many around as schools are still shedding staff due to cuts and many jobs are advertised internally. But there will be some. On jobcentreonline or nijobfinder websites. You could start looking now as some will be recruiting already for after Christmas. I don't see that it would be impossible to find that level of employment. Otherwise you may have to take a step down and go for head of department jobs, with a view for promotion after a few years. Good luck.

Cleebope Thu 22-Sep-16 18:48:00

Sorry, just retread that you are coming next Sept. So yes, after Christmas would be a good time to look but you should keep an eye out on those websites in the meantime to check the market for vp jobs.

PalaceResident Thu 22-Sep-16 20:46:47

Thank you that is really helpful Clee! I wasn't aware of those sites. Yes, I'd be willing to take a step down if necessary.

Much appreciated!!

northcoastmum Thu 22-Sep-16 22:36:15

Another site to check is the Education Authority. I do think it's hard to break into the education sector here, at all levels actually. You don't mention whether you're primary or post-primary, but either way I would begin to familiarise yourself with the system, structures and curriculum here.

All the best!

Notgoinganywhere Thu 22-Sep-16 23:11:55

Thanks northcoast I'm in secondary education with specific responsibility for the 6th form.

Much appreciated.

Cleebope Thu 22-Sep-16 23:22:08

I'm also thinking that you could actually go for principal jobs here.. Quite a few principals here have moved from the mainland back here, and few level headed people go for these jobs! Your experience as deputy head could take you a long way so don't underestimate your market value back home ( assuming you are Norn Irish!)

Irishhooley Mon 26-Sep-16 07:46:58

Hi there
Schools here must advertise vice principal and principal posts externally. Education authority schools and CCMS schools advertise on their own websites, no longer in papers. Integrated and voluntary grammar advertise in the papers still.

PalaceResident Mon 26-Sep-16 08:38:51

Really helpful Hooley, I didn't know that either...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now