I cried in the staff toilets today...

(47 Posts)
Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 21:39:44

Today was the beginning of my third week of teaching(I'm doing Teach First). I had prepared like mad, trying new things, only to be greeted by rudeness and refusals to do work. I don't know why, but today it really got to me and I walked out of a meeting crying. My mentor had to come and get me from the toilets and give me a hug. I knew this moment would come at some point and I am feeling much better now, but I can't say I'm feeling particularly proud or professional at the moment... Please reassure me you've all been there smile

Lilaclily Mon 19-Sep-16 21:40:56

I'm not a teacher but have regularly cried in the toilets at work

neveruponatime Mon 19-Sep-16 21:42:05

Happens to the best of us smile

Chin up and go in tomorrow. There's nowt much else I can really say!

Good luck though flowers

Teacupinastorm Mon 19-Sep-16 21:47:53

Not a teacher but I cried in the toilets at work last week. A good cry is what you need sometimes. I do know a lot of teachers and know that it's bloody tough, so keep going!

Lovefromhull Mon 19-Sep-16 21:52:25

Oh yes- been there. After much much longer than 3 weeks too! Sadly- quite normal.
Promise to sit in the staff room regularly. I know that there never seems time, but it really helps to realise that everyone is in the same boat.

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 21:53:49

Thank you all so much!!! I was a bit worried I'd get a similar reception to last time I mentioned I was doing TF, but you are very very kind! And making me feel a lot better! I worry that my mentor and colleagues will think I am not cut out for this job, but maybe not smile. Fortunately I have training tomorrow, so a day's respite before an SLT observation on Wednesday.

BertieBotts Mon 19-Sep-16 21:54:24

It's so bloody demoralising when they just refuse, isn't it? Little buggers. And they know it, I'm sure!

I had so much trouble with one kid last year and his first lesson this year was an absolute disaster but I taught him again today and somehow it seems to have switched in one day.

I'm not really a "teacher" as such as I do more kids' clubs kind of thing (and mostly feel like I have no idea what I am doing) but I think from speaking to others, everyone has these days. I get such highs and lows with the children's classes. They are challenging but it (really) is all worth it when you get those moments that they engage and learn something. And that will happen too.

DramaAlpaca Mon 19-Sep-16 21:54:45

I'm not a teacher but I've always had a cry in the toilets at some point in the first few weeks of a new job. It's always got better after that.

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 21:56:36

Hull I think I may know you - did you do TF too (in Hull)? And thanks for your reassurance - I do try to spend a little time in the staffroom each day, if only because my department has no room of its own so we all tend to have lunch there smile

Lizzylou Mon 19-Sep-16 21:56:53

Aaah, be kind to yourself, TF is such hard work.
Hope your week gets better.

SheStoodInTheStorm Mon 19-Sep-16 21:58:35

Six years in and I cried today blush

frozenpink Mon 19-Sep-16 21:58:56

It can be so tough. Concentrate on the lovely kids who are polite and get enthusiastic.

Helbelle75 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:59:43

Teaching 16 years and had a full on melt down in the staff room last year. It had been a particulalry stressful one, personally and professionally, but everyone was lovely. Happens to everyone I think.

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 22:00:19

They know, for sure! I'm trying not to be too negative about the kids, because that seems to be a direct route into demoralisation (and out of teaching), but sometimes it is really hard, especially when you thought you were on the right track!

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 22:01:01

Storm unmumsnetty hugs for you smile. Do you want to talk about it?

seven201 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:04:10

We've all been there. I cried outside my classroom door once then had to run back in as a fight had broke out about who had made me cry! Quite sweet really. I was teaching a practical subject in a random classroom far away from my department. That class ran rings round me. One boy with SN used to love sitting under my desk looking at my smelly shoes. I felt so bad for the kids that wanted to learn. I tried so hard with them but received no support when I asked for it. I don't teach there anymore!

Misssss Mon 19-Sep-16 22:07:16

I cried today too. Locked myself in the loo and had a little weep. Six years in and I really can't face the next six weeks. Don't worry, its normal. Although it shouldn't be.

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 22:09:56

Noooo, Missss, you can do it!!! And it's only 4 more weeks till half-term after this week I know it's only Monday but who cares. V appropriate username btw - the constant missmissmissmissmiss does my head in BIG TIME!

Doobydoo Mon 19-Sep-16 22:12:38

Nurse here......have cried in toilet too.You are not alone! Hope things improve.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Mon 19-Sep-16 22:12:46

I'm no teacher, and could never be one. But I think if anyone deserves a cry, it's teachers!

I have cried in the toilets though. I think most people have.

flowerscake for you. The fact that you're not shit talking the kids and want to continue on speaks volumes of the kind of teacher you are.

Puffinity Mon 19-Sep-16 22:22:46

Sparkle thank you, that is such a lovely comment! I am going to bed now, thanks to everyone for cheering me up a bit! I love MN when it's like this!!!

Hrafnkel Mon 19-Sep-16 22:25:59

Im a teacher and a TF subject tutor and have respect for you, going into a classroom with your own classes with such a small amount of teaching experience at this point in the year, and relative to that, a huge workload!

I cried lots during my pgce; we all did smile

Jayfee Mon 19-Sep-16 22:29:36

The first year is the hardest. I am a teacher. I don't know what age you are working with. I did placement with primary but ended up with comprehensive age. You learn all the time. My first day at comp. I came out and my boyfriend was waiting for me. I got in the car and started crying. The girl I had had a problem with came out laughing with her friends. My boyfriend made me realise it was a bit of a game to the girl. I learned a lot by watching good teachers. I also used to think over everything and work out what had happened. One thing I tried to do was get difficult pupils on their own to talk about issues. Never rise to their bait or they would play up to the class. Also children have a great sense of fair play. I would never , well hardly ever, punish a whole group, would always follow up any incident, but be prepared to change tack if I had misjudged a situation. You sound like a good teacher at the start of a teaching career. I have been teaching many years but still love it most of the time. Good luck.

wayway13 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:32:53

One time I hid under my desk and cried. It was the end of the day and there was a staff meeting. People were looking for me. Eventually they just started without me and I rocked up 15mins late blush

Lovefromhull Mon 19-Sep-16 22:48:38

Not TF puffinity- sorry smile
Happy to hear that you are feeling bit better. Every day is a new one. Good luck with your training!
Wayway- bless you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now