How do motivate a lazy child?

(5 Posts)
cluelessinstyle Sat 10-Sep-16 09:14:29

Just that. A middle ability child who just will not work.
I am a ta with only 2 years experience and have been put with an nqt this year. She is lovely, but has been a bit rabbit in the headlights this week (we have some challenging children in the class who are testing bounderies).

I'm trying to take some of the load from her and want to try and get this perfectly capable child to start working. No special needs. Any tips from wiser teachers to help the child achieve their potential, and to stop staring into the room.

Thanks

cluelessinstyle Sat 10-Sep-16 09:15:26

I have to go and do family taxi service all morning, but will be back to any advice. Thanks

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 10-Sep-16 10:18:18

There will be a reason why they don't want to work. It might be that they are actually really struggling, didn't do anything over the holidays and are now totally afraid of trying. There also might be home issues.

They could also just be a lazy wee bugger.

NQTs are supposed to be rabbits in headlights at this point in term. I would advise you to be bright and breezy ('Come on Charlie, let's get this all done. I'll give you a hand') and to follow her lead with praise/ sanctions. This is the sort of thing she ought to discuss with her mentor.

user1471734618 Sat 10-Sep-16 10:19:56

BoundAries

cluelessinstyle Sat 10-Sep-16 12:49:35

I'm back. My nqt is lovely, it's good to hear she should be a rabbit at the moe. It's hard to jolly The child along when you have others who are emotionally unstable and making a bolt for the door. We've been reminding the child all week to work. Working at playtime doesn't seem to work either, he still doesn't finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now