How do motivate a lazy child?

(6 Posts)
cluelessinstyle Sat 10-Sep-16 09:13:57

Just that. A middle ability child who just will not work.
I am a ta with only 2 years experience and have been put with an nqt this year. She is lovely, but has been a bit rabbit in the headlights this week (we have some challenging children in the class who are testing bounderies).

I'm trying to take some of the load from her and want to try and get this perfectly capable child to start working. No special needs. Any tips from wiser teachers to help the child achieve their potential, and to stop staring into the room.

Thanks

toomuchicecream Sat 10-Sep-16 17:00:41

For me, it's about the relationship I build with them - getting them to want to do it because they want to do it for me, if you see what I mean. That won't work in the immediate term though... How about an egg timer. "By the time all the sand has run through, I want you to get to xx point. If you do I'll give you a sticker/house points/whatever.

Wolfiefan Sat 10-Sep-16 17:02:37

Is she a perfectionist who's scared to make a mistake? Is writing hard for her? Very few children are just so lazy they can't be bothered to work at all. Also take any opportunity to offer genuine praise for what work is done well.

Tillyscoutsmum Sat 10-Sep-16 22:09:01

Encourage him to do small chunks that don't intimidate him. I have a purple pencil (and yes, it has a "wanky" name - the 'purple pencil of progress'). I will put a small dot a line or two below where they've got to (depending on what's reasonable) and tell them that when I come back, if they've written as far as the dot, then they get a reward (sticker/house point/move up the zone chart etc). Lots of praise if they achieve it/give them 'X' more seconds if they haven't quite reached it. Repeat as necessary.

Emochild Sun 11-Sep-16 08:41:28

There are very few genuinely lazy children in the classroom

Unmotivated -yes
Unclear of expectations -yes
Short on ideas -yes
Not wanting to make mistakes -yes
Lazy -no

These things can be fixed by a classroom culture where it's ok to make a mistake, where the teaching challenges at an appropriate level and the children feel supported in their learning

I know you said the teacher is an NQT but have you actually discussed this with her?

junebirthdaygirl Fri 16-Sep-16 22:37:19

Often when a child is staring into space it's not laziness but an attention difficulty. So gentle reminders maybe a signal to call back their attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now