How to do planning in these circumstances?

(12 Posts)
Euphemia Tue 06-Sep-16 18:12:51

Teacher A works Mon-Thu. Teacher B does Friday, the only day she's in the school.

How does Teacher B know what to plan?

Minispringroll Tue 06-Sep-16 18:15:11

It would make sense in that situation for teacher B to have discrete subjects to teach (i.e. always doing a reading lesson or arithmetic focus) so that he/she can plan independently.

Euphemia Tue 06-Sep-16 18:18:52

But who decides that and communicates that to her? The HT?

Trenzalor Tue 06-Sep-16 18:24:52

I've been teacher B. We tried to make the subjects (including the maths and English) pretty independent of the rest of the week. Lots of emailing to communicate. Last year teacher A told me what to plan. This year I am going to have to follow what teacher A and the team plan (different year group, different needs). It's always been between me and teacher A with them giving me the direction as they are there more often.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 06-Sep-16 18:29:06

I think it would be up to the line manager, Euphemia.

There should/has to be flexibility because no two pairs would work in the same way.

Gmbk Tue 06-Sep-16 18:30:51

Primary or secondary?

Communication between the 2 is key. In our school they'd agree between themselves.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 06-Sep-16 18:43:41

I would keep is discreet. So they might do an element of literacy or thematic work or music and art

Doowrah Tue 06-Sep-16 18:48:40

I was teacher A last year on a 4:1 split. Teacher B did reading comp and maths investigation, computing and PE. I decided this in discussion with SLT and I had minimal contact with her beyond cursory professionalism.

Euphemia Tue 06-Sep-16 19:23:14

I'll speak to the HT - thanks.

CodyKing Wed 07-Sep-16 14:58:00

Ive seen B do mental maths challenges science art and reading - so usually - mopping up the tasks usually done In an afternoon

It PE if it falls in that day or swimming etc

It can be done

melonribena Wed 07-Sep-16 15:04:25

I've been teacher A. After discussion with Teacher B, she taught discrete areas of the curriculum. Did ict, outdoor pe, mfl and maths ( problem solving)

user1469300540 Sat 10-Sep-16 21:35:08

Ive been Teacher B. I would go in on a Thursday and we would plan Friday together. Often consolidation from the week or a discrete lesson. Lots of emails and Teacher A would leave me notes, post-it's etc. around the classroom so I knew where I was at. She'd send me planning for her 4 days as well so I would know what they would be doing and then she'd leave me her annotated plans to read through on Friday morning so I could see misconceptions etc. Communication is vital and you just need to be really flexible and prepared to dramatically change your plans the night before! Personally, I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now