Oh no, I'm class-sharing with a Pinterest Fanatic

(108 Posts)
CherylMerylBeryl Thu 01-Sep-16 21:39:12

The walls are completely decorated in posters, banners, bunting and laminated cards that are too shiny, too small, too overstimulating.

The whole thing has been posted on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.

She is making 'Parent Welcome Packs' (teabag, biscuit and tissues hmm ) and informed me that I will be starting off on the wrong foot and not encouraging positive relationships with the parents.

Dear God, it's going to be a loooooooooong year.

cosmicglittergirl Thu 01-Sep-16 21:46:24

She'll run out of steam surely?

I'm class sharing this year; its that little bit more stressful...

cosmicglittergirl Thu 01-Sep-16 21:46:40

*it's

CherylMerylBeryl Thu 01-Sep-16 21:49:00

Either that or the planet will run out of laminating pouches.

RandomDent Thu 01-Sep-16 21:53:36

Can you start removing things, one staple at a time?

hollytom Thu 01-Sep-16 21:53:42

She sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully she will exhaust herself quickly

RandomDent Thu 01-Sep-16 21:55:08

It's ok, this time next week the children will have destroyed everything. You might find her in a corner, rocking while hugging laminated and triple mounted bunting.

Acopyofacopy Thu 01-Sep-16 21:56:23

I'm the only minimalist in my department, I'll come and share with you. We can just sit in a clutter free and tidy space and have cups of tea made with the tea bags that we won't share with parents grin

ThisIsNotARealAvo Thu 01-Sep-16 21:57:27

The parent welcome packs are soooo patronising! I'm a teacher and a parent. In a welcome pack is much rather have a reading record and some information about what they were going to be learning, and an sheet with useful dates. No one at my school has done this yet thank Christ.

CherylMerylBeryl Thu 01-Sep-16 21:58:34

<shares biscuits with acopy*

The room makes my teeth itchy. It is so cluttered. Aaarghh.

One staple at a time sounds like a plan.

MakemineaGandT Thu 01-Sep-16 22:01:54

Oh god. I feel your pain. She means well I guess........but if I was given that patent welcome pack I would want to vomit. At least chuck a mini gin bottle in there!!!

cosmicglittergirl Thu 01-Sep-16 22:02:13

Picture?

LemonRedwood Thu 01-Sep-16 22:03:47

What year are you? Welcome packs in Reception is cringey enough; anything older than that would be cause for getting her head examined.

Acopyofacopy Thu 01-Sep-16 22:04:28

Are you sitting down? I just remembered that in my last school somebody had the bright idea of stapling key expressions to the ceiling as an addition to the usual poster and bunting madness. confused

LemonRedwood Thu 01-Sep-16 22:05:23

I haven't even backed my boards yet, much less put anything on them.

But everything has to be a working wall now, so I'm using the excuse that the children need to do some work first!

CafeCremeEtCroissant Thu 01-Sep-16 22:07:41

Oh dear god. I'd be taking a spade & looking for the best place to hide the body 😖

I'm WAY too much of a control freak to share a class/room.

🍾🍫🍸🍷🍸🍷🍸🍷🍸🍫🍫🍹🍹

drspouse Thu 01-Sep-16 22:08:07

Parent here - we deliberately didn't choose a school with a very cluttered Reception classroom. Can you get That Parent on side to complain the clutter is making their special snowflake unable to concentrate?

CafeCremeEtCroissant Thu 01-Sep-16 22:08:34

By day two you'll be telling her where to shove her laminating machine 😁

CafeCremeEtCroissant Thu 01-Sep-16 22:11:02

Oh & what does she mean by 'you'll' be getting off on the wrong foot?

Are you not presenting a United Front to the parents?

Who is the 'senior' or has the most experience?

Acornantics Thu 01-Sep-16 22:12:26

I blame America. When DCs were in school there, their classrooms were neon-festooned-glittery-zebra striped-burlap-wrapped 'motivational quotes' on every flat surface zones, with welcome packs for parents and etiquette guides a-plenty.

The teaching was first rate and the teachers delightful but the decor and over-achieving was all a little much for us non-natives.

Waterlemon Thu 01-Sep-16 22:16:03

No one can ever call me a minimalist but I really dislike the way displays have gone the last few years. Working walls, over-laminated displays, what ever happened to decorating the classroom with the children's own work and celebrating their achievements?

As Art coordinator do not get me started on 30 identical pretty Pinterest creations that are all about the "product" and absolutely nothing about the "process". Grrr

For example

Kateballs Thu 01-Sep-16 22:17:56

So is she just supposed to not give a shit and leave some dog eared, faded posters up and give the parents an ignorant nod at the door? Would that make her cool enough to be in the blase, too cool for school club ?
The world needs some more Pinterest obsessed do good-ers. Especially in teaching. Schools get nothing but bad rep for lack lustre attitudes so props to her for trying her best.
Maybe you should be a bit more open minded.
Having said that...... if she brings her salad to work in a mason jar you have my permission to set her on fire. wink

Waterlemon Thu 01-Sep-16 22:20:59

if my school is anything to go by, you wil either completely run out of laminating pouches or the laminator will pack up by half term anyway!

CherylMerylBeryl Thu 01-Sep-16 22:25:58

Who is the 'senior' or has the most experience?

Moi.

My displays are lovely and not dog-eared at all, thank you. They are all read-able or at least decipherable by small children and most of the work is done by them.

Watermelon those are beautiful. It's very small on my phone but they all look different. I have genuinely seen that sort of art task with a pre-cut silhouette and clearly some sort of line for the red to fade into the yellow.

Sinkingfeeling Thu 01-Sep-16 22:28:18

NQT?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now