Has anyone else got 'the FEAR'?!

(26 Posts)
rollonthesummer Wed 31-Aug-16 21:01:22

We have Inset tomorrow and Friday but then the children are back on Monday.

I feel so sad that another lovely holiday has come to an end and am just dreading the SMT panic that will inevitably happen tomorrow about Ofsted, data, observation timetables, learning objectives, targets, progress, interventions, groupings, evidence etc etc

Arghhhhhhh!!!

Sleeperandthespindle Wed 31-Aug-16 21:32:05

I love the teaching. But all the other stuff you mention. Hate it! Our head and SLT are full of Ofsted fear and pile on more and more nonsense because of this. SO much monitoring and scrutiny.

Sleeperandthespindle Wed 31-Aug-16 21:32:18

Holidays are so lovely!

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Wed 31-Aug-16 21:41:13

My HT gets into a frenzy about data and OFSTED and with our three year plan being discussed on Monday, everyone is dreading it.

It isn't the plan as such but how she presents it, how she speaks to her staff and having all these grand plans and then wants them all done within a couple of weeks and because it is 16 months since our successful OFSTED inspection, she will now be ensuring that we are all fired up and stressed until they next visit in 2018!

glamourousgranny42 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:20:36

Every September I get the fear! I panic that I have forgotten how to teach! I can't remember anything. Then by the end if the first week it's like ive never been away.

longshorts Wed 31-Aug-16 22:53:31

Definitely. How many hours sleep are you counting on tonight? I reckon around 4!

rollonthesummer Wed 31-Aug-16 22:56:07

I went to bed early but am still on MN and not asleep!!

mumtomaxwell Wed 31-Aug-16 23:32:38

I don't go back til Monday... Last September we were told Ofsted were coming - they never arrived! So this year it'll be even worse!!! I just want to be left alone to teach my students to live my subject and get fabulous GCSE/A level grades in it confused

suze28 Wed 31-Aug-16 23:37:17

rollonthesummer Are you me?? Yes, and yes.
I'm sure all will be fine and we'll get zero sleep Sunday evening.

Sleeperandthespindle Thu 01-Sep-16 06:37:56

I was fine for sleep last night but kids aren't in till Monday. I had high hopes of being fully prepared this year to make my term-time life easier, but forgot this and enjoyed my holiday instead! I've done some work, obviously, but I'm not classroom ready and have TAs to train over the next two days. It'll be a busy weekend of planning!

My youngest DC starts reception on Monday too sad

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 01-Sep-16 06:58:34

I'm panicking now too! INSET Fri and kids back Monday.

Ofsted are due this year so that's making everyone nervous.

Sad that the hols are ending sad

Good luck to everyone - especially those who are back today!

wannabestressfree Thu 01-Sep-16 07:10:43

We are back Monday and I am a mixture of nervous and excited as I have been off since May having treatment for two tumours. I still need surgery (one is huge) but I cannot spend any longer in the house so am going back afternoons.....am not even teaching my own subject just slotting in. Will be using the weekend to read up smile and get new stationary.

rollonthesummer Thu 01-Sep-16 07:24:29

Stationery-sorry, couldn't resist grin. I can still hear my old English teacher muttering, 'E for envelopes'!

Well-I'm going in now! I'm as ready as I'll ever be...

rollonthesummer Thu 01-Sep-16 07:26:46

I didn't mean to be rude, btw. Sorry to hear about your tumours- you poor thing, that must be stressful sad.

Enjoy your last weekend of freedom before school starts!

wannabestressfree Thu 01-Sep-16 13:27:02

That was embarrassing I am an English teacher.... I don't even think it was autocorrect. smile
Hope you had a good day smile

Sukistjames Thu 01-Sep-16 13:29:53

I too have the fear!
Begin at my new school on Monday and am looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure!

DullUserName Thu 01-Sep-16 13:39:51

I send you all possible wishes and hopes for lovely classes, understanding parents, reasonable marking policies and friendly inspectors.

Me? I'm starting a new job doing education outreach for a major corporation. No more marking ...

Ditsyprint40 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:35:46

I did, but went back today (Inset) and feel much more relaxed and actually looking forward to Monday!

MsMermaid Thu 01-Sep-16 19:41:04

We went back today for inset. After a full day of being talked at I have a horrendous headache and feel rather sick sad I didn't sleep very well last night but I'm really hoping that will be the only bad night, it usually is.

I can't wait for Monday when the kids arrive, although it looks like I'll have some tricky characters in one of my new classes.

CharleyDavidson Thu 01-Sep-16 20:30:00

No FEAR yet - I save that for Sun night when I can't sleep before the children go back. But our 2 training days will be interesting as we have a(nother) new HT and it will be a time of changes ahead in small ways. Luckily, inspection was last year so that's one thing not to worry about.

hollytom Thu 01-Sep-16 21:52:00

Msmermaid I also feel exhausted. We had to sit there all morning the first thing that was said we need to make school fun so all teachers should run an after school club. Great I will volunteer to do a summer club after I have quit

MsMermaid Thu 01-Sep-16 21:59:44

We had 4 hours of being talked at about exam results, individual student successes/disappointments, new GCSEs and A Levels, levelling without levels, school development plan, etc. All fairly standard stuff that's happened in every school I've ever been in, but hours of sitting in a stuffy hall on uncomfortable chairs is enough to make anyone feel ill.

rollonthesummer Thu 01-Sep-16 22:17:09

We had hours of sitting in a hot, cramped hall, listening to a long list of what Ofsted will be looking for, followed by Safeguarding, followed by the school development plan, followed by first aid.

I feel totally numb and demoralised!! They didn't even give us a nice lunch shockwink

CharleyDavidson Thu 01-Sep-16 22:26:16

We had lunch! And classroom time in the afternoon. Hurrah!

Ditsyprint40 Thu 01-Sep-16 23:20:53

We got free lunch and I actually felt really motivated and proud during the mornings (long) briefing. We did do pretty damn good this year though. Parent meetings and planning for next week.. The day went far too quick and not enough done!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now