After school clubs

(33 Posts)
Wonderfulthingabouttigger Fri 26-Aug-16 15:09:28

As part of my PM this year, I will be expected to run an after school club. I don't mind doing it but I have no idea what to do.

At my primary school, we have loads of sports clubs and lots of music clubs already.

Other than sport and music, what kind of clubs do you or your school run? Just looking for ideas please! 😁

Ratley Fri 26-Aug-16 15:15:20

I am only a parent ( at the moment start in September) but at DSs school, they have photography club, newspaper club, needles and pins (knitting and embroidery) and art club.

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 26-Aug-16 15:17:28

Art club and drama club are popular at my school. What about debating/public speaking of some sort?

Would it be for the whole age range?

WipsGlitter Fri 26-Aug-16 15:21:07

What's the age range?

DS in primary has arts and crafts, chess, multi sport, judo and French (last two you pay more for as they are outside providers).

Wonderpants Fri 26-Aug-16 15:23:02

Art, craft, board games, IT, Lego, cookery, book club/ reading, drama!

Hurrah for anything that isn't for the sporty or musical children imo!

Acopyofacopy Fri 26-Aug-16 16:03:51

Art, nature detectives, book club.

Wonderfulthingabouttigger Fri 26-Aug-16 16:54:31

Thanks! Lots of great ideas!

I'm not really arty, but would probably give it a go!

Would be KS 2 age 7-11, although could open it up.

Like the idea of a debate club too smile

XianLiax Fri 26-Aug-16 16:59:01

Scratch club is very popular and easy to do.

I've also known a successful 'healthy living' club - which interpreted the brief by alternating sessions of cooking and sessions of parachute games. It was quite convivial iirc.

Art club - but that was very much built around one amazing teacher.

Notthisnotthat Fri 26-Aug-16 17:08:04

What about a STEM club, you could do science, tech experiments each week, make gloop or slime, build things etc.

Toomanycats99 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:20:45

My dd primary has Gardening club.

RitaConnors Fri 26-Aug-16 17:22:15

Ours has board games club and orienteering club.

toobusytothink Fri 26-Aug-16 17:23:50

Board/card games is a great one in my experience. Lots of kids these days don't play many at home but they love them. It doesn't need to be educational at all, although actually I think these type of games educate in a different way.

toobusytothink Fri 26-Aug-16 17:24:37

Also no preparation required!!!

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 26-Aug-16 17:25:03

I'm running a parent and child homework club. A lot of our parents struggle with literacy and numeracy so we're trying to do a wee bit more.

I'm also trying to browbeat a more musical teacher into a parent and child music class grin

We provide a cup of tea/coffee and a bun too. I have been at this school a while though and 'know' quite a lot of the parents. Don't think I could do it as a newbie.

Jaimx86 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:25:28

Film Club!
It's free to join and the students login and chose films. The students can then enter reviews online.

Oakmaiden Fri 26-Aug-16 17:25:44

Lego club is hugely popular.

Or a bookclub?

samlovesdilys Fri 26-Aug-16 17:27:48

I'm running film club this week...hoping for some suggestions from the kids but need a FAB one to start - any ideas??!!

BoaConstrictor Fri 26-Aug-16 17:29:58

Our school only offers sports clubs so I would be delighted if it was something for the non-sporty DC.

FathomsDeep Fri 26-Aug-16 17:30:15

Colouring club is surprisingly popular at DDs school.

jelliebelly Fri 26-Aug-16 17:35:18

Cookery
Spanish
Art
Hama beads
Movie club
Chess club
Puzzle club
Orienteering
Drama
Computer club
Quiz club

jelliebelly Fri 26-Aug-16 17:36:46

Oops posted too soon

Gardening
Board games
Colouring
Design a mask

foursillybeans Fri 26-Aug-16 17:38:42

Science club

Lego club

Reading club. Ask at your local library of they run one that you can visit and get ideas from.

foursillybeans Fri 26-Aug-16 17:42:04

Food club - maybe cook one week out of three but learn a bit about food, food processing, farming on the other weeks. We could use programmes like Inside the Factory BBC2 or Jimmy's Food Unwrapped for clips.

3littlebadgers Fri 26-Aug-16 17:45:57

As a mum I'd love a board games club, for my children. It is the one thing I wish we had more time to do at home. With all of the various commitments there just doesn't seem the time blush

BarbLives Fri 26-Aug-16 17:47:13

Definitely something like lego club, film club, book club or colouring club. Twinkl do some good 'mindfulness' colouring sheets suitable for KS2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now